Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Is this as good as its gets.

1 1/2 years ago I had a T4-T10 fusion done from a fall at work. I landed on my feet...If I was a gymnast, you could say I stuck the landing! Well I flattened one and cracked two other vertebra's. The fusion was done to stabilize me. Not fix. My nero said Im lucky to be walking. I take quit a lot of pills, have therapy 3x a week. I do what they tell me and the results are not changing. So I was getting upset. As I think anyone would. That this cant be normal. My pain has not changed at all. Im 51 and feel like 71. So I convinced my workman's comp to have a  CT scan. As it come backs, my nero said. Everything is still intact, and nothing has moved.  I asked then why do I have all this pain that keeps me from doing anything. As his answer to me was, Its that... or have no feeling from the chest down, paralyzed. He said I had an extensive injury. If I was any kind of a ball player, it would career ending. Basically said,  To bad, So said. Is this my life now. Pain and not able to enjoy most things. I was a trim carpenter, Boater, jetski, biker, hiker, did and fix anything. Now I could not lay on my back to tighten the sink drain if it needed to be. My hips and legs are showing signs that the fall, and impact took its tool on them. Even hard to put socks on, any movement with my back stops me. I hope to have at least 30 more years left in my life. I don't have any grand-kids yet, But will in the next few years i'm sure. Wondering  how that will be. Yes I can still walk some and get around. Drive short distances . I'm not looking for sympathy. Like to here from others with a life changing fusion, that stops your life as you know it. I cant be the only one.  
Greg fisher
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 646
    edited 06/25/2016 - 11:19 PM
    What you've been going through is much worse than what I have been. I think having to deal with the pain is bad enough, but having to deal with Workman's Comp just compounds it all...being in the hands of their mercy, which sometimes seems merciless. I've never personally had to deal with that system, but I've known others that have. I hope they will treat you right, and do what it takes to get you feeling more functional.

Since my L4-5 fusion and laminectomy in March 2015, I've been struggling walking. I was up to 4 miles walking at 6 months post op, but it all started to go downhill from there. Not that walking felt "right" after my fusion, it just became less tolerable.

I just had X-rays again last Thursday, but haven't heard anything yet...no news is good news, well, at least until you get the bad news anyways. 

My walking struggle as far as I can tell gets worse with inflammation, but even when I'm not inflamed, the struggle to walk, sit, or lay is there, just gets worse as the day goes on.

My last MRI in February showed slight bulging discs in lower thoracic and lumbar discs, with acute or subacute compound fracture in the T-12 superior endplate. 

I fell to my knees and toppled to my side a week after my fusion, but I didn't feel any worse, and the surgeons nurse the following week said I looked like I was walking fine. So I don't know if that, or just movement, as the toll the vertebra above and below a fusion takes on, but the Dr. said they usually don't see that so soon after a fusion. But hey....they say my fusion is fusing nicely!

Walking feels like I'm constantly fighting against something, like something is in the wrong place, pushing downwards compressing, making walking so difficult. Feels like in sacrum, tailbone area. Sitting is painful, so I try not to sit long, and laying is not much better, I have to change positions often. And standing for even a short period feels like my spine is compressed, a downward pressure.

When I wake in the morning I'm not in pain, but as the struggle of walking, or sitting continues, it just progresses as the day goes on. 

I see my surgeon on the 14th to go over X-rays , but the PA at the pain management says if my surgeon doesn't see any spinal instability, they will check my hips out.

Hope you find some answers, and some relief!