Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SI Joint Ablation-Continued Problems

I have had problems with my SI Joint for approximately 9 years. I have been through the long list of treatments and finally ended up on the radiofrequency ablation for my right SI joint. I had my procedure on March 2, 2016. I have scrolled through numerous boards trying to find feedback from others who have had the same procedure done. I was told that I would feel the full effects of the procedure 3 months out. So as of June 2nd I should have been feeling pretty amazing, right!? Not exactly. My pain initially decreased significantly but has returned with a vengeance in addition to problems/chronic pain on my left side. Has anyone had this issue as well? Meaning the return of pain so quickly after the SI ablation. Any thoughts are appreciated. Wondering if I should bother getting another done if it will mean a week off work every 3 months for moderate pain reduction during that time.

Thanks in advance!

advertisement

Comments

• I had the same thing done. My pain went away two weeks after, but has since returned. It has only been about a month and a half since I got it done.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello sweete1991 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • ChippieChippie Acworth, GAPosts: 2
    Hi SweetE1981, I have had Radio Ablation 3 times, first one was done with NO anesthesia at all just numerous Novocaine injections, PAIN LIKE NEVER BEFORE, pain let up for 3 months, 2nd lasted 2 weeks, 3rd no relief at all. I just don't know if it is the ablation effect on me or the doctor not doing it right. I am now considering Nevro, a type of spinal cord stimulation, but NO vibration feeling. I would not be able to stand the constant feeling of something moving. So
  • kat1d1dkkat1d1d CaliforniaPosts: 3
    It usually takes the nerves about 7-14 days to "die off" and most studies show that pain relief happens after that timeframe. About half of people who do it have reduced pain for up to 2 years. For the other half pain relief lasts anywhere from 9-18 months. For some it's about 6 months. Worst case is that you have zero pain relief at all. 

Neural regrowth takes time, so maybe there is something else that is contributing to your pain. SI joint dysfunction can come along with a whole host of secondary problems which case nerve and muscle pain. Pain that an ablation won't work on. 

Perhaps consider seeing both a good neurologist and a spinal ortho, talk about potential muscle and tissue issues. I would also recommend seeing a rheumatologist. Even if you don't have arthritis or another autoimmune issue, they tend to be very familiar with the SI joint and different modes of treatment.

Good luck!

• I had the same thing done about two months ago. Initially I felt that it worked, but now y pain is also returning. I'm not sure that the pain I went through was worth getting it done again. I'm not sure what my other options are, so please let me know how you end up dealing with this!
  • advertisement
  • I am going through exactly what you are in about the same time frame - I'm about 2 months post -ablation of left si joint. Other than piriformis spasming, It was the greatest 2 months of my life! Now it's 2 months later, I moved a team of paper at work and BAM! My si joint went out ...I shouldn't have any live nerves to feel this, right?!?! Well now it's like I never got the ablation & my other side is painful & spasming as well. I was seeing a physiatrist for my care and now they've given up & passing me to pain management. I'm in the middle of switching with no medical care right now. Please keep in touch what your doctors say about this, I'm debating calling the physiatrist that did my first ablation & asking for another - this time I want both sides WITH cortisone injections this time!
advertisement