Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How do you recover from a fall after surgery?

I am 3 weeks out after surgery for a herniated disk involving L3, L4 and L5. Thanks to a good surgeon and Gabapentin I am past the pain pretty much. However, I had a close call due to leg weakness yesterday. I almost found myself on the floor. What is the best way to get up from a fall without causing damage?  Would I get in a a sitting position and have someone lift under shoulders ? If alone, what position would work best without causing damage or pain?
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 645
    edited 06/28/2016 - 8:36 PM
    Well, I would carry a phone around with you as much as possible. 

It's really hard to say, really depends on how you fell, and if you're in more pain than before you fell.

I became faint rather suddenly in the shower a week after fusion, and for some reason I tried to make it to my bed, but I collapsed to my knees at the doorframe of my bedroom (without my brace!), and toppled over to my right side. I don't remember going down to my knees, but I was fairly conscious toppling over, though I felt nothing (just felt like I was gently guided to my side). I became alert when down on my side, and I didn't feel like I had injured myself, though I was unsure of trying to move. My Mom was there to help me, but I was afraid we'd both get hurt trying to get me back up.

My Mom dialed 911 for me, and I told them of the situation, and they were there shortly after, just long enough for my Mom to slide my back brace under me, snugging it up for support. And helped me slip on some underwear, and try to get my robe at least partially around me (I was sure I'd die of embarrassment if we didn't do all that!!)

One of the paramedics stooped in front of me, with his hands under my armpits, while the other was behind me, his hands, well, they were somewhere back there, I'll have to check what I wrote down....I just know it wasn't anywheres compromising, like my crotch. In one fell swoop they had me standing on my feet like magic.

The 911 call was considered a lift and assist, so there was no charge. They also checked my blood sugar, but that was okay....just my pride was hurt ; (

I would contact your surgeons office and ask them what you should do if you should ever not have help getting back up. 

Glad you didn't get hurt. Do you use a cane? That, or even a walker with that chair thing might be more safe till your leg weakness gets better.
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    edited 06/28/2016 - 9:03 PM
    I am 10 days out past a microdiscectomy
     I fell out of bed 2x. Both times I was fortunste enough to fall on my hands and knees and was able to get up without assistance. 
  • advertisement
    Ellen! What or how did that happen?
  • I think the best way to get up is to lie on the belly, then use hands and knees to lift body out of the floor and then try to get up using leg muscles. Other people may be around to prevent second falling, but the best way is to do it by yourself because other may pull you and stretch your spine which can do other damage.
    Kristijan (33)

St. post vertebrosynthesis transpedicularis Th11-Th12-L1-L2 sec Expidium, Stabilization (10.5.2016.)
    Scoliosis THL Gravis (as of age od 13)
    Protrusio disci L3/L4
    Osteochondrosis
    Radiculopathia C6C7 bill, C8Th1 dec, L3L4 i L5S1 bill
    Hemangioma Th8
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy thoracale
    Sy LS chr

Sheri, 
    Basically I  was trying to reach for something and fell. Really as simple (and stupid) on my part as that. Same thing twice. I'm sure the drugs didn't help either. At that point my son went out and bought me a cane. I just don't like admitting I need help.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,271
    Since I had my laminectomy L2-L5 on March 21, I have fallen about a half a dozen times, including the first night home from the hospital. 
    I generally crawl to a bathroom or kitchen cabinet and then slowly try to get myself off the ground.  The first couple of times after surgery it was tough because of the surgical pain.

Before surgery, when I was outside and on the ground (not as a result of a fall), I would use a walking stick to help get me up.   Something strong and sturdy
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • mrandemmrande OregonPosts: 4
    Thanks Sheri. Good info and good advice. I didn't know about lift and assist tied to 911 for no fee. I hope you are better.
  • mrandemmrande OregonPosts: 4
    Thanks a bunch
    Your welcome mrande. I don't think my falling after fusion caused any problems, at least Dr doesn't think so. Hope you don't have anymore close calls, or any falls!

Ron, my that is a lot of falling!! You're fortunate you didn't hit your head on anything going down. I sure was ...there were two pieces of furniture I could have cracked my head on, fell right in between them.

Ellen, you are so fortunate to have landed without hurting yourself...both times! At that time of falling I was on Norco and Methocarbamol. I didn't care much for that muscle relaxer, wouldn't want to take again. Even after I quit taking it though, I still felt like I could hardly move. 
    Hey Sheri,
    Just dumb and stubborn, and very lucky!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.