Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 MD June 29th

Like this forum; lots of good discussion.  I'm having my L5/S1 MD tomorrow.  It's a 4mm right paracentral protrusion; a fairly easy case, but in reading some of the stories on this forum, my immediate fear is that my pain could get worse (eg., re-herniation from a sneeze, epidural fibrosis, etc.).  But the surgery is necessary, as I can't sit for more than 10 minutes w/o having to stand up, and getting out of bed in the morning is a nightmare.

Hoping tomorrow goes well; wish me luck.
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!  I had a fusion and revision a week ago today..you are not alone!  I hope all goes well.
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
     Best of luck!
  • advertisement
  • Hello, L5S1HNP!

First, I wish you the best of luck with your procedure tomorrow!  I certainly hope you find yourself to be one of those people who can say, "I wish I would've done this sooner!"

Please keep us posted about your progress!  I'd also like to welcome you to the forums.  You're right...there is a lot of good information in here in addition to a lot of caring members!!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • L5S1HNPLL5S1HNP PhoenixPosts: 2
    The surgery went well.  My incision area is stiff and very sore, but I'm not in unbearable pain.

One question I have for the forum is this.  I noticed minor numbness extending from just above the right knee to about halfway up the thigh prior to surgery.  The numbness persists.  The office said that this will probably go away and is most likely from the irritation in the nerve.  

But the area that is numb seems to be fed nerves by the disc ABOVE the one we just operated on (L4/5), which was also bulging but not nearly as much as L5/S1; not enough to warrant surgery.

Is it possible that L4/5 is now compressing the nerve and causing my numbness?  I would rather not have to undergo yet another procedure when just begging my recover from L5/S1.

Thanks for any insights you might have.
advertisement