Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pars Fracture L5 and S1 and S2

I recently found out that I have a lumbar fracture, which has put my life on hold. I did gymnastics for eight years, ran cross country and track, and I played basketball. Basically my back has not been taken care of, but the pain made it hard to go to school and graduation.
     I've struggled with mental illness a lot and I can say that this definitely isn't helping. I hate feeling useless because my back isn't strong enough to cut vegetables or help someone carry groceries. I'm about to start college and go on vacation, and hearing I'm limited is not what I wanted to hear. Also, having people stare at you because you have to walk slow because your legs are having spasms is mentally degrading. I've become bored and I've started isolating myself, so I am curious how all of you cope with not being able to workout or do simple tasks? What helps with stress, because my go to was working out or cooking?  In addition, what activities have you found that help with the boredom? 
advertisement

Comments

• Hello, Sbanderson!

We share similar histories--I too, did gymnastics for many years.  The difference is my bilateral Pars defect wasn't discovered until I was on the operating table getting what was supposed to be a single level fusion at L4/L5.  The fractures were at L5/S1, so I am now fused there, too.  My doctor did say that the Pars defects can be a concern for people who have participated in gymnastics in their youths! 

Dealing with pain is just as mentally demanding as it is physically challenging.  Sometimes, the mental component of handling chronic pain becomes a bigger hurdle for some of us.  I understand where you're coming from when you say you feel "degraded" when your pain is evident in public.  It's not easy to feel "abnormal" in a so-called "normal" world. 

I'm very glad you reached out to the members here on Spine-Health.  As you get to "know" this crowd, it is my hope that you will feel less isolated, less "abnormal", and become a part of the undercurrent of hope here that keeps a lot of us going on even the darkest days.

Welcome to the forums.  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!