Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Tears

Hi all, I am 3 weeks post L4 5 fusion and laminectomy. I can't stop crying. Is it the anesthesia? I'm making myself crazy. I also didn't realize the long recovery involved in a fusion. Has anyone healed after 3 months? I took care of my grandsons 3 days a week and miss them so much. I think that is part of my tears. I don't know if I would have done this if I knew length of recovery. Now they have to start day care. 
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi Nanahelen 
    I had a microdiscectomy on 6/16. The first couple of days were ok, just basically took pain meds and slept. On day 3 the water works started! For me I think the isolation, the "not being me yet"  feelings, etc contributed. Who knows. I feel the better I start to feel, the better I feel emotionally. It's still happening but getting better. Pick up the phone and call some folks. Get someone to bring you those grandkids!

Tell people what you need and want. They don't always know. It's hard. Force yourself to take a walk outside if you can.

Best of luck!
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 996

Helen

Recovery from fusion surgery is a physical and emotional roller coaster... trust me we've all been there and have felt just like you.  The trears don't hurt anything... let them flow... over time you will find they tend to get less as life returns to something more normal.  Speaking of normal... it's somewhat rare for someone your age to heal within 3 months.  Fusion surgery is a BIG surgery... and you should expect recovery to be something more like 6-12 months.  However at 3 weeks post-op you are likley through the worst of it.  How is your nerve pain???  Gone???  Are you on any pain meds...???  Sometimes these can affect your your emotional state... in both good and bad ways.  Is there someone there to help you 24/7???

According to Google it's sunny and 75 degrees in Boston today... go out and enjoy the sunshine with a nice easy walk... and afterwards have a nice sit on the porch/lawn/patio... it's guaranteed to lift your spirits. 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • Thanks 
  • mlavellemlavelle Teaneck NjPosts: 41
    Nanahelen, 3 weeks post op Is still early in your recovery.  You are gonna be okay, let yourself heal.  A visit from the grandkids is a great idea!  
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

I agree with @mlavelle, a visit from the grandkids is a great idea.  Just have there parents warn them to be gentle with nana.

Harry is right about the walk, walking will help strengthen those muscles that have been weakened by your surgery  Besides that, getting up and out should lift your spirits a little..

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Thanks Bruce. 
  • Thanks for responding!
  • I know it's early. Feels like forever!  Thanks for reply
  • CandyDCCandyD WisconsinPosts: 31
    My surgery was in my neck but I went through an emotional roller coaster too. When I came home I found myself crying "at the drop of a hat". I felt like I was wallowing in the past. I couldn't seem to focus on the "future" (days, weeks and/or months) when I would be healed enough to feel "normal" again. Every little thing put me into a crying episode, especially if it involved thinking about anything in the past. I have heard anesthesia can contribute to that. Also, the type of surgery we've had does have a recovery time that seems to drag on, especially when so many things are restricted. At 3 weeks I was still crying all the time. At 6 weeks the collar was off and I was working on mobility and strengthening. Somewhere around the 4 week mark I stopped crying, appetite came back, and I wasn't crying much if at all. I'm wondering if that's when the anesthesia got out of my system? I am now 2 month's post-op and I'm feeling much better. I'm able to do light housework and drive around town. I still have some stiffness and the my neck and shoulders and they tire easily. Hang in there. Talk to your doctor if you are feeling too sad.
    Cervical spondylosis with myelopathy
    05/05/16 Posterior Laminectomy and Cervical Spinal Fusion C3-C7 
  • Hi thanks for reply. I think it's the anesthesia too.  And everything else you said. I keep asking why I did this! I'm so Active and miss my life. That's when the tears start. I know it will get better. Again thanks for reply.
advertisement