Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Screws and plate removed?

Has anyone has screws and plates removed? I had surgery in 1995 and now looking at needing to have it removed for further surgery- has anyone gone through this? I have a bone graft over the plate 
advertisement

Comments

• I just had screws and rods removed from a fusion last fall.  The surgeon also shaved down the cage, as it was impinging into my nerve area.
  • I've just had screws and plate removed from unnecessary, as it turns out, triple level fusion C3-C6 carried out in Greece in 2013. My surgeon fused C6-C7 at the same time to free the compressed nerve, which he thought was causing the worsening pain across my shoulders, neck and arms. The plate was loose, and not serving any useful function.  I am  three and a half weeks post-op, in some  pain which varies in intensity according to how much I do - or don't do! It's early days,and I'm trying to remain hopeful for the future. The surgeon decided to do both the plate removal and the fusion surgery at the same time to spare me the trauma of two operations. Hope some of this helps. Until I came on here today I thought I was the only person in the world to have had this done!
  • advertisement
  • I have and it's much easier then when they place it in. It helped me as far as pain goes too
  • Well, it seems there is only one special 'kit' floating around the UK suitable for removing this Greek plate and screws. As I said, it was a five-hour op, including the fusion of C6-7. How long after the surgery was it when you noticed an improvement in pain levels?
  • JuleseJJulese Philly suburbsPosts: 3
    I had an L5 laminectomy with L3-S1 stainless steel pedicle plates & screws fusion in 1990. I've lived on meds for all these years and now considering a spinal cord stim implant vs. intrathecal implantable pain pump. I'm unable to have an MRI or CT of my lumbar spine due to the bars. My question is do I consider having the hardware explanted so I can have a CT or MRI? I fell in Nov 2015 and my rehab doc feels I herniated my L5-S1 disk. CT and MRI were useless as nothing showed as results were black. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • advertisement
advertisement