Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Diskites

I had a minimum invasive lumbar disectomy recently , was discharged from the hospital within 2 days . I developed severe pain in the back within one week . The MRI showed an infection which had spread to the blood ( bacterial - Paeudomonas) the doctors admitted me and started giving IV antibiotics specific to the organism ; was discharged from the hospital after 10 days and the same day I had severe pain , upon examination it was found that the wound had diacharge and had opened up . So the doctors opened up and apparently cleaned up the infection . Post clean up , I was kept in the hospital for another two weeks with IV Vancomycin and other medications . My levels of CRP are nearing normal and doctor has diacharged me with oral antibiotics to be taken for another 2 weeks and advised me to wear a brace around my back. Though its still painful for me to stand straight ot even turn around.
The doctors advised that the pain would fo subsequently and I should continue to take rest for a few weeks more .
I would like to know if anyone who has gone through post operative diskitis can guide me as to how long it takes for the pain to go completely and for the person to continue his normal activities?
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Schon !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    edited 07/09/2016 - 10:04 PM

Welcome to the forums Schon.

It seems to me that you probably have 3 kinds of pain to deal with, and each will have different healing time.

1.  The infection - I won't even touch that...

2.  The surgery - mine was cervical and took about a month, mainly because of things that were pushed out of the way.  Hopefully someone who has lumbar experience can comment more.

3.  The big one, previously damaged nerves - this can take months, or even years depending on the damage

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Thanks Savage and Bruce . Apparently the L4-L5 will fuse to become one and that does take time . Wish the process is fast enough!!