Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

TLIF at L4L5S1 with Laminectomy

Just had this done on 6/15/16. Pain is still very intense. Taking pain meds and muscle relaxers around the clock. Alternating ice/heat. Get up every hour and walk a little just to get the blood flowing and keep moving. I'm very blessed in that I have child care and my husband takes care of everything when he gets home. I just can't wait till I can do more but I am following the dr orders because there is NO WAY I am going through that again. Waking up from that surgery was the worst pain of my life and that is an understatement.I will say though, as painful as the surgery was and as difficult as this recovery is and I know its gonna be a long one (dr say 12-18 months) it was worth it compared to the chronic pain I lived for 18 months before I finally had the surgery, 
Jennifer Lauren
  •  "Pain is temporary; Quitting is forever,"
  •  "Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer" 
  • '"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer."

advertisement

Comments

• Kimmy72KKimmy72 Posts: 2,103
    edited 07/10/2016 - 4:02 PM
    hello, laurenjay31!

it sounds like you not only have a great support system, but that you are doing everything in your power to make sure you take extra special care of your surgeon's handiwork! 

these first few weeks are a real bugger, and there are a number of we members who went through that immediate post-op agony.  that was definitely the worst pain i've ever experienced in my life (i had a double-level lumbar fusion in january), to be followed up by the second worst pain of trying to wriggle myself into the car when i was discharged from the hospital...ouch.  like you, i was (and still am) very fortunate that i have a loving husband who wants nothing more than to see his wife live a life that is not plagued by constant pain.

i'd like to welcome you to the forums!  please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

welcome to spine-health
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Hello! I can share similar experience. Post op pain after I awakened was 10/10, the worst I have ever experienced and as you said there is NO WAY I would go for another turn again. However, even the pain at level 10 and suffering post op for some time is better than dying; which was prognosis in my case with no surgery.

I always count that there smust be a limit to each of us how much we can take. Famous Mexican paintor Frida Kahlo (1907-1954) had 35 surgeries in her life, after the bus accident she had in young ages. One of the painintg she did, a deer stabbed with a lots of arrows around the body shows basically how we all feel. The pain becomes center of life even and very difficult to get rid of.

At fortune, nowadays we have medications that can reduce pain, there are effective surgical procedures, but perhaps our expectations from everything sometimes must be adjusted to the reality. I can say that after having chronical pain for more than 20 years, and in last 3 years most awful one, the surgery just did it good and I would decide to do it again if necessary.
    Kristijan (33)

St. post vertebrosynthesis transpedicularis Th11-Th12-L1-L2 sec Expidium, Stabilization (10.5.2016.)
    Scoliosis THL Gravis (as of age od 13)
    Protrusio disci L3/L4
    Osteochondrosis
    Radiculopathia C6C7 bill, C8Th1 dec, L3L4 i L5S1 bill
    Hemangioma Th8
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy thoracale
    Sy LS chr

• advertisement