Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Double fusion L-5 to S-1

Jeanirn2@aol.comJJeanirn2@aol.com SacramentoPosts: 2
edited 07/15/2016 - 4:15 AM in Depression and Coping
I had a double fusion on L-4 to S-1 on January 11th.  I woke up in dire pain, and have been in a lot of pain since.  [edit] had an add in the paper, and we went to his seminar.  He sounded curious, so thought I would make an appointment with him after being pushed by my husband.  He said I had a "Garden type surgery" and it would be fine after 2 months.  It has been six months and I am in a lot of pain.  Even though the right side is very painful, the left hand has pins and needles in it straight out of the barn.  Then when I saw him afterwards, he told me "Jean, you had a major surgery"  and went on to say it will take a year to heal.  I also have dead reflexes in my ankles, and my right one is a killer.  Basically I am getting more and more depressed as time goes by.  I don't see a way out of this pain, and I had a back pain from being an RN, but the pain now is agony.  He called in a Podiatrist to state I have plantar Fascitis.  I might have it, doubt it, but that is not what hurts.  She was told it was a "One time visit only" and she was not allowed to touch anything but my foot."  She kept saying over and over, "I am sorry" as she knew the pain radiating from my back to my ankle was not plantar fascisitis.  I asked her what she would do if I were her patient.  She said she would give me an injection, something else, and give me an MRI.  My whole right side is on ice almost 24/7.  Does anyone in this support group have this done, and what were your results.  All I read are bad things.  My husband read an add in the paper, full page add about this doctor.  [edit]
Sincerely.
Jeani Parsons

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator
removed specific doctor's name
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi 
    I have not had this done but was wondering if you should get a second opinion.
  • Hello, Jeani!

We had the same surgery at similar times (mine was on January 8th!).  I, however, experienced a brief period of relief after my operation until the scar tissue decided it wanted to be a problem at about 6-7 weeks after my surgery.  I have since had that corrected, and consider myself a spinal fusion success story in the making.

I feel so badly for you!  The decision to have surgery is difficult enough to begin with, and so the disappointment that the pain relief you expected has not happened must be devastating. 

Have you had any recent imaging studies done to see how your fusion is progressing?  When I started having problems, I had two MRIs 5 weeks apart, and that's how they discovered the scar tissue (it doubled in size in those 5 weeks!!  Yowza!)  I am wondering, too, if it wouldn't be worth it to ask about taking a look at your cervical/thoracic spine, too.  I have a herniated disc at my C6/7 level, and when it flares, the symptoms are similar to what you described about your arms/hands.  In no way am I stating with any certainty that your problems are stemming from these possible causes, but the fact that you have experienced no relief can sometimes mean that the true cause of your pain has yet to be figured out.   

I am inclined to second Ellen on the idea of a second opinion. 

I'd also like to welcome you to Spine-Health!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • I am so sorry you are having such a hard time!  I agree with Kimmy & Ellen - get a second opinion.  You know in your gut that something isn't right.  I knew after my first fusion that there was a problem, but my surgeon kept saying everything looks great, I don't know why you're in pain, etc.  I finally got a second opinion - and confirmed there was a problem.  For whatever reason, my first surgeon did not admit that I had an issue with the hardware.  Good luck!