Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatic pain from prolapse disc

I have a prolapse disc (L5/S1) which is causing me extreme pain in my right leg. I have had two injections so far, the first worked really well and I was pain free for about 15 months. The second did not work so my consultant has suggested surgery and I am booked in for a microdiscectomy in two weeks time. In the mean time I am really struggling to walk, sit, sleep. He has given me gabapentin which I am building up slowly. I'm in so much pain and I'm not sure how I will get through the next few weeks before my surgery. Any advice would be welcome.
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    melsgirl

i'd like to welcome you to spine-health.  please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started:   welcome to spine-health

my disc problems were cervical, so my pain was different.  how to get through the next two weeks?  for me i focused on the future; i counted down the days, i thought about how it would get better and well, i waited...

hopefully other members will also have some helpful hints.

good luck with the surgery, and please let us know how it goes.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thank you Bruce. Wow your story and what you have been through sound awful. I'm glad you are on the mend now. For me, I'm just feeling so helpless as every time I walk anywhere I'm in terrible pain. Luckily I have a very understanding husband and two daughters who are able to help out but I'm struggling with not being able to get about. Hopefully at least there is an end in sight in the next few weeks
  • advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 704
    Has it been determined why your disc is bulging? Did they tell you why a disc bulge would cause pain down your leg? 

• Hi. I've experienced similar to this - had prolapsed disc at L3/4 and terrible sciatica which resulted in emergency surgery in 2010 and recently the same happened again with the disc- below it- L4/5. I really feel for you as I know how awful it is to suffer so much pain. During the worst periods I take a lot of painkillers, try to rest as much as possible and try to tell myself "this isn't forever"! (regardless of whether I actually believe it- I think trying to be positive does help even tho it can feel impossible sometimes). Your surgery date is soon and I really hope that it relieves you of the pain you are feeling and I wish you a quick recovery. After my first surgery I did have a long period of being pain free which shows it is possible! 
  • melsgirlmelsgirl U.K. Posts: 23
    edited 07/28/2016 - 9:22 AM
     MarWin, I don't have a disc bulge, it's a prolapse or herniated disc which is pressing on the sciatic nerve. My surgeon said it was a very large prolapse. He could see this from the mri scan.
  • advertisement
  • Sarah82 yes really hoping the surgery will result in me being pain free. I have really upped all of my painkillers which does help a lot. I have exactly one week to go before the operation, so not long to go. How long did it take you to recover from surgery? 
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 704
    People often use the terms interchangeable. Same questions would apply though? 
  • MarWin, I don't think there's any underlying issue, nothing has shown up on my mri scan apart from the prolapse disc. Just an unlucky injury I guess. I am hoping the surgery will sort out the problem once and for all. My biggest question right now is how to get through the next week as I'm struggling to cope with the pain. It's like a constant burning cramp and I'm in a a terrible way right now  :)
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 451
    I discovered aquacise at my worst.  Those 45 minute classes 3 days a week is what kept me sane.  Pain greatly reduced while in the water, and I could even exercise my muscles without making things worse.  Sometimes, having something to do that's good for your body & mind is a great distraction from the constant intolerable pain.  If you don't have access to a pool, maybe there is something else you can do that would have the same effect?  
advertisement