Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

wondering if testosterone therapy has helped anyone? i am about to start.

i have blood work done, meet with doctor next week, i was wondering if any ones been on it for long term, if it helped with pain? if it helped with general mood ? i am a little nervous, i have watched way to many videos.  if it can help i sure it be worth the extra money, or getting shots twice a week. lol
advertisement

Comments

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561

The Special Needs of Pain Patients

What is lost in the recent controversies, however, is that the vast majority of testosterone is not prescribed to pain patients—but rather to middle age and older males for maintenance of libido, muscle mass, mood, and energy.2,23 These issues also may be of considerable importance to pain patients, but testosterone has 3 additional, critical properties in pain patients:

• Protection and regeneration of damaged neural tissue (peripheral and central)10,24
    • Maintenance of opioid effectiveness, so dosage can be minimized10-15
    • Prevention of opioid complications, including osteoporosis15,30-33

Testosterone is well known to have analgesic properties.10-15 In my own clinical experience and anecdotal reports, pain patients who start testosterone reduce their opioid requirements. Testosterone is known to assist opioid binding on receptors.15Opioids have a suppressive effect on the endocrine system and on bone formation.30-41 Osteoporosis frequently occurs in opioid-maintained patients.30-33,39,40

It is essential in the debate about testosterone that clinicians acknowledge that chronic severe pain is itself a major cardiovascular risk factor (Table 3). This often is overlooked, but it must be a part of practitioner’s decision making when it comes to choosing pain control therapeutics. Severe pain, acute or chronic, peripheral or central, causes hyperarousal of the autonomic nervous system and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Chronic hyperarousal of these 2 systems causes several physiologic dysfunctions that are associated with cardiovascular risk factors such as hypertension, tachycardia, vasoconstriction, and hypercortisolemia with its attendant effects of hyperlipidemia and hyperglycemia.

Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Thanks for information, I feel better about it now. 
  • advertisement