Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

I want to be able to sit without pain!

I ruptured L5-S1 March 2014, and haven't been able to sit for more than a few minutes without getting fidgety, restless, uncomfortable, or excruciating pain since.  I've had discectomy; re-herniated.  I am considering the recommendations for fusion or artificial disc replacement....but as I read on this forum, I wonder if there is any procedure that can give you that comfort level back, where you can sit without pain?  
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 927

smartens...

I had lumbar fusion surgery and I can now sit comfortably pain free.  The recovery took a longgggg time... but I'm now pretty close to normal again.   Sometimes now days if I ride in the car for more than hour I get fidgety but I think that is mostly in my head... not so much my back.

Harry - 64 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Smartens

Fusion has the added benefit over just the discectomy of helping prevent the re-herniation.  Harry has a lot of experience with lumbar that I don't have, but I have had fusion with success. 

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Sitting is still difficult for me (L4-S1 in January), as is driving or standing in one place for long.  Ten minutes max, and it starts to ache.  My physical therapist hopes that with continued exercise, those symptoms will begin to resolve.  I hope so!
    Are you involved in physical therapy?
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 429
    I see a physiotherapist about once a month, just can't swing it financially to go more often, and I usually get 'a little' relief for a couple of days when I do, but nothing lasting.  I continue with aquacise 3x weekly and walking 2 miles at a time several days a week.  I am grateful that I can do that, even with the re-herniation not dealt with at this point.  But the sitting is torture, and you just don't realize how many things require sitting for more than a couple of minutes at a time until you're dealing with a bad back!  Lying down brings relief, but really only as long as I'm laying down, and not at all conducive to living life.

• Smartens did you start off walking that distance or slowly build up? I tried to start walking small distances but it worsened.
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 429
    joyful,
    I walked prior to injury almost every day.  Then the ruptured disc happened, and I was unable to walk even down my driveway until I had discectomy surgery 9 months later. I know what you're talking about.  It was recommended for recovery/rehab post-surgery, and I slowly worked my way back up to 2 miles over time.  I have re-herniated, but this time my pain is not as severe, and I am still able to walk.  I am starting to get some discomfort with it, so I do fear what lies ahead, but for now I'm staying as active as I can.
  • But the sitting is torture, and you just don't realize how many things require sitting for more than a couple of minutes at a time until you're dealing with a bad back!  

SO true! 

Joyful--have you spoken to your doctor about the fact that walking causes an increase in your pain?
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement