Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Trying to Make an Insurance Decision

I had my surgery and care under Medicare with an excellent (but pricey) medigap plan that paid 100% of everything Medicare approved.  Just this month I talked to an insurance agent about a much cheaper Medicare Advantage plan. I signed up for it. Now I'm worried, because if I need more surgery in the future I will have a huge deductible. I guess I'm not looking for someone to tell me whet to do, just some input. 
Cervical spondylosis with myelopathy
05/05/16 Posterior Laminectomy and Cervical Spinal Fusion C3-C7 
advertisement

Comments

• CandyDCCandyD WisconsinPosts: 31
    By the way, I am allowed to change my mind and go back to the pricey one.
  • Hi Candy,

What surgery did you have and what are the chance of a revision surgery needed in the future? I really think it depends on the condition of your spine health. We all hope to never have to repeat surgeries but many times things happen and become out of our control.

When my second cervical spine issue arose I had a high deductible insurance. I had not met the deductible leaving a lot of out of the pocket money needed to be paid. As the issue proceeded to get worse I chose to go with the lower deductible which took more money each pay period but less out of pocket for the deductible. I think you need to really sit and think of your own personal experience and health to make the best personal decision for yourself.

Good Luck !

Tracy~
  • advertisement
    Thanks for the input
    I had C3 through C7 decompression and fusion with screws and metal rods. Sorry, I don't have all the exact medical names in my head right now. My health is good but I worry about future spinal things, even though my doc says I'm healing fantastically and the bone graft is growing really well. She was super pleased when she saw my X-rays at 6 weeks. I'm now at about 3 months out from surgery and almost feeling normal.
  • Well that's great news !! Was your surgery in the front of the neck or back ?  I am almost 11 weeks post-op from my 3rd surgery, a Posterior Laminectomy & Fusion of the C4-7. I have to say this has been the best recovery for me ! Any limitations in your life as a result of this surgery?

Your story is inspiring to "almost" feel normal at 3 months !

Kudos to you ! Keep us updated !

Tracy~
  • advertisement
    In the back, I have a 6 inch long scar lol I call it my badge of honor. I do have some slightly noticeable limitations.  I can't look over my shoulders, just to the sides, but my back is flexible so I just turn my body to compensate. By turning like that I am able to drive ok, although I worry more about blind spots, so I am extra careful. I seem to be able to look up ok but I can't tuck something under my chin and hold it there, like a pillow when I'm putting on the pillow case. It kept falling. So I just do it another way.  
advertisement