Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pillow suggestions after ACDF surgery?

I am 3 weeks post op from ACDF surgery, C-5/6 and C-6/7
I wake up every morning in severe pain on right side: neck, shoulder, right arm numb. I take my meds (including ibuprofen) and an hour later I can get around, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using a different pillow to help?  I am a side sleeper, and I am not in a collar of any kind. 
Thanks for any and all suggestions! 
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,109
    edited 07/30/2016 - 2:16 PM
    Hello Jennifer
    Please click on the links for useful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Pillow Support and Comfort

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thanks for the Links Liz!  :)

• advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,437
    I sleep on my side also.  I like to have the pillow(s) so that my head doesn't hang down.  I use two fairly stiff pillows for that.

Welcome to the forums, I hope that you get as much out of them as I do.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• laurietlauriet Kent, WAPosts: 35
    I am a side sleeper also, had lots of trouble finding the right pillow after surgery. I found one that is shaped like a candy cane that works great. I can't remember where I got it from, probably Amazon, but I literally just googled "candy cane shaped pillow" and you will get places to order it from. I got mine on the 2 for 1 deal. Good luck with recovery.

• Thanks for the welcome Bruce ... just stumbled across this site yesterday, and did some reading in the forums. Looks like a great place, and look forward to suggestions! :) 

• advertisement
  • Lauriet, thanks for the suggestion. I will do some checking to see what I can find on the candy cane pillow. 
    Thanks for good wishes! :) 
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    JenniferD63 - please check with your doctor about taking ibuprofen after your fusion surgery? After my first ACDF, my surgeon dismissed the pain I was still having & told me to take ibuprofen. I was taking them all day, everyday. I had to find a new surgeon, when my first doctor told me his job was to do the surgery & he did. He no longer wanted to see me. 
    My new surgeon questioned me about taking ibuprofen. He took an X-ray & told me that my neck never fused. I ended up having another surgery. This time a PCDF. 
    I'm not saying this is what caused my non-fusion, but I have my suspicions. 
    As far as a pillow goes, I mainly slept in a recliner chair. I had to wear a soft collar. But I also used one of those U shaped travel pillows. 
    Good catch Motor1

NSAIDS (which ibuprofen is one of) are interfere with bone fusion.

Bruce

It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• litespeedlizllitespeedliz Boca Raton FloridaPosts: 9
    I have been taking Turmeric which is a "natural" anti inflationary , I wonder if that could also retard the fusion ? Hope not!!
    Litespeedliz

It is always good to make sure that your doctors know what medicines you are taking, this includes natural remedies.

Bruce

advertisement