Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Looking for spinal fusion success stories

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello vickicook!

Please use search, upper right on page, and type in Welcome to Spine-health.
    It will be first on list of results, Welcome to Spine-health, how to get started!

You will find much helpful information!
    Many of us seasoned members continue to refer to it time to time!

Thank you!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• gramggram VirginiaPosts: 2
    Me, too. I am 64 and facing 4 level fusion. I can still function on medications, not narcotics, so how long should I wait?
  • advertisement
  • gramggram VirginiaPosts: 2
    These have made me feel better. My pre op testing is tomorrow,  surgery is 11-7, four level fusion L2-L4. I have pain and numbness and burning down left leg. I can still function but it is getting harder.
  • I had my pre op testing yesterday . My cardiologist has to approve the surgery so I won't be given the date for a few weeks.
    Good luck, gram Virginia!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello gram !

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Waiting for the call. It is so difficult.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    melstebar

I know what you mean. Even when I had my Cardiologist's approval it took several phone calls and portal messages to make sure that the approval made it successfully to my surgeon. My surgery was on Friday, I think that I was still working it up to Wednesday - argh.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Feeling ok after  5 days.  Very very tough. Will focus on being positive.
    Thanks to all.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 12/28/2016 - 9:55 PM

Steve...

I'm your same age and I have had what I would call a successful fusion of my L4-L5-S1.  The recovery is not easy and will probably be longer than you want or plan for... but for sure I'm a LOT better off than I was before surgery. I would say 95% of my pre-op pain is gone.   I do have some minor daily nagging discomforts but they are not really that big of a deal.  I'm not running around doing what I did when I was 25 years old but as a whole my life is fine with some common sense lifestyle changes.  I don't go out and play basketball, or carry heavy loads of firewood... but I'm active and swim almost every day along with daily walking.   Some things you can do to help ensure the success of your surgery and fusion include:  obey your doctors orders 110%, obey the no BLT rules 110% even when you start to feel better, do not do anything that will overly stress your back for at least 12-18 months, walk outside every day at least once even if it's just for 5 minutes and better yet walk outside twice a day.  Don't smoke or take any kind of NSAIDS during your recovery, and if your doctor approves it use a bone growth stimulator. 

The surgery itself is a piece of cake... your asleep... it's the recovery where you will need to put on your big boy pants.  The first week will likely be hell... assuming you are comfortable in hospitals stay in the hospital as long as you can as they can help a lot with hospital grade pain killers. Some people react badly to anesthesia or various pain meds make sure your doctor knows any issues/allergies you have experienced before with different meds.  Make sure you have a family member to help 24/7 once you are home for at least the first week and better yet the first 6 weeks.  Don't panic if you still have lots of nerve pain or even new nerve pain coming out of surgery. The inflammation in your nerves heals VERY slowly... taking weeks or even months to subside and until it does your nerves will fire and give you lots of pain.  Having said that however it is good to try and get off the pain meds as soon as possible post surgery... some of them can be very addicting.  Once you start to feel better you are NOT healed... the actual bone fusion process is VERY slow... so don't over do it or you will pay the price.  Your health and healing comes first for the next 12-18 months... no excuses or compromises.  Follow the rules... use good common sense EVERY day combined with LOTS of patience and a positive attitude... and should get you through it just fine with a whole new lease on life.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 12/28/2016 - 11:32 PM

Steve...

Sorry... I just now realized you're 5 days post op.  Some of the above inputs you can ignore... other bits may be useful.  Hang in there you're just at the start of 26 mile marathon... slow and steady wins the race.  Are you up and walking yet..??

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
advertisement