Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Chronic, Undiagnosed Neck/Shoulder Muscle Pain, Tension Headaches

advertisement

Comments

• maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 322
    I spoke with the company that was reviewing my order for the MRI since the insurance denied it and they are processing an appeal for me. They though that I had only been treated by the Neurologist since July 27th, but I explained to them that I have been being treated for years and have already tried physical therapy. She said that hopefully I will hear back from them today and the neck MRI will be approved, so I am keeping my fingers crossed! I am also going to ask my family doctor about a new muscle relaxer because the Flexiril just doesn't seem to be working anymore. I have constant tightness and spasms in my shoulder blade muscles and nothing seems to give me relief. I will keep you all posted. Thanks!
  • Have you tried deep tissue massage? Do you have knots (aka trigger points) in your shoulders? 
  • advertisement
    Hi cnote! Yes, I do have knots and spasms in my shoulder blade muscles. When I went to physical therapy a few years ago they said it felt like rocks in my muscles. I have been to a massage but it kind of hurts for some reason.
  • Hi mae! I'm hoping they get your MRI done soon. I've been dealing with neck issues & after my last epidural I still had pain. Then started the tension headaches & tightness in neck. If you straight at me you can see the whole left side is swollen.
    My doctor is doing a nerve block & if that works a nerve ablation. He believes my pain & issues are caused by the facet joints. I have arthritis in mine & they are swollen. 
    Once you get the imaging they should be able to map out what can be done to help you. Just hang tight,it should be soon! 
    Thanks joyful_in_sorrows! I am hoping to hear back from my insurance company as to the status of my appeal and hopefully they will approve the MRI and I can get it done soon. I am thinking that it is some sort of facet issue or possibly arthritis. Then we can actually figure out how to fix the issue so that I can get some relief! I will keep you all posted.
  • advertisement
    So, unfortunately, my insurance company denied my appeal for my Dr.s request for an MRI stating that I do not meet the criteria for a neck MRI based on their Medical Policy Adult Head Imaging Policy. I will be starting physical therapy tomorrow after all. Now I am going to have to wait weeks to show that physical therapy does not help and hope that they will then approve the MRI!
  • I suggest that you appeal this to the states board that oversee the insurance companies. If your doctor is saying you need one you should get it. I'm so sorry you have all this hiccups to deal with. Just keep your head up,it'll eventually work out.
    Thanks! Yeah, I don't know whether to fight it or just suffer through the physical therapy in the hopes that they will approve the MRI after physical therapy proves to be ineffective. I want answers now, not weeks or months from now!
  • Very valid points there. Do you just go with the process & endure or do you fight it which could still delay it? Maybe do both? That way you have a better chance of getting it if the still say you need to exhaust all avenues. 
    Yeah I am thinking that I will appeal again and call my Neurologist to help with the appeal and in the meantime start physical therapy so that I don't appear noncompliant.
advertisement