Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Seeking for Decision Making Assistance

advertisement

Comments

• Kimmy72KKimmy72 Posts: 2,103
    edited 08/18/2016 - 2:52 PM
    I've said this in other posts, but surgical outcomes are as unique as your fingerprints.  You may experience tremendous pain relief from your surgery, or you may find that your pain symptoms are, at the very least, more manageable than they were pre-operatively.  Your surgeon should be able to give you an approximate percentage of relief he or she feels you will experience as a result of surgical intervention. 

I get the same impression as you related in your post--that your surgery will be done with the goal of preventing future complications from untreated nerve damage.  However, you may just find that pain relief/reduction will be a positive "side effect" once you've healed from the initial surgical pain!! 

I'd like to direct you to read one of our moderator's--Bruce Eitman-- personal accounts of his recovery progress from cervical spine surgery.  He responded to you here, and you can click on the blue "Bruce's Story" right under his name to learn how he's progressing (if you haven't already, of course!).  He's a great resource around here in terms of cervical spinal surgery and recovery!

Be patient and kind with yourself.  No one would ever fault you around here for continuing to find out as much as you can about your type of surgery before committing to having it!!!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Yes, if you haven't read my story read it - and feel free to ask questions as I didn't include all of the details.  It was long enough already :)

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • momo-kmmomo-k Posts: 131
    edited 08/18/2016 - 10:00 PM
    Kimmy72 and Bruce, you have been so helpful. THANK YOU! I am so glad that I have found this forum. :) I don't feel so alone... People here UNDERSTAND how it REALLY feels like to be faced with this difficult situation.

As far as pain goes, my NS gave me am impression that maybe pain will go away.

C6 corpectomy, C5-C7 anterior cervical fusion -> is this a 2 or 3 level fusion?
    I found out the type of procedure that my NS will be performing after I talked to him on on-line discharge instruction. I thought  I was getting discectomy not corpectomy.  This info freaked me out especially after I researched more about it, and decided to seek for second opinion. 

...also is it normal to feel like... this could be an end of my active life...? millions of things fly through my head...

momo-k

Thanks for the kind words.  I will speak for Kimmy, those words mean so much to us and are humbling.

C5-C7 is a two level fusion .  C5-C6 and C6-C7.

also is it normal to feel like... this could be an end of my active life...? millions of things fly through my head...

Absolutely, that is very normal.  I didn't find this forum until I was well along my road to recovery from my second surgery.  I kept saying to people that it would be valuable to me to have a support group.  That is what this forum is all about, so use it to get answers for your concerns - then they can fly out of your head!

Bruce

It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Here I am!!  Thank you for letting us know that you've found some comfort here!   I agree with Bruce--it is humbling, and lets us know that we're truly helping people around here!

I found Spine-Health when I was recovering from L4-S1 fusion surgery in January.  I felt, and still feel, as you do.  The members here have a special understanding of our situations that people who do not suffer chronic pain conditions simply do not (not that we would ever want them to!!).

Those are some pretty promising words from your neurosurgeon regarding the pain going away, huh?  :)
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • momo-kmmomo-k Posts: 131
    edited 08/22/2016 - 6:26 PM
    just brain farting here... *again*  :o
    More I think more I get scared about a surgery, and get confused with everything that's going on... As I research and ask more questions, I am getting further away from reaching a decision. My brain power is consumed with this. *sigh*  I know "I" have to reach a decision on my own...soon rather later.

A few doctors told me to make a decision based on symptoms that I have. My symptoms are mainly pain, occasional tingling, and drop stuff when I am not deliberate with my own actions. Lately, I am thinking maybe I would be better off living with them rather than having a surgery. NS stated I am showing an "early" symptoms but there is a necessity to have a surgery. Then he shows me the MRI and tell me the reasons why I need a surgery. well... there it is the answer!!! Right? NOT!!! Then why am I resisting? I am resisting maybe because I am experiencing only early symptoms? OMG I AM SO CONFUSED!

momo-k

You are not alone.  If you can live with your symptoms, wait.  You certainly would not be alone in waiting.

Ask your NS what happens if I wait?  The answer will be speculative, but should include some worst case things, and hopefully some best case.

Don't let your NS tell you that you need surgery, unless there are some predictable consequences of not having it.  We have seen members who were told that paralysis would occur without stabilizing surgery.  I need heart surgery because death is a possible outcome without it.  I only needed surgery because I couldn't continue to work with the symptoms that I had.  I am happy that I did have the surgery.

Bruce

• Hey Bruce, thank you for being here. :) Thank you for allowing me to bounce off my feelings, thoughts, and so on.  It helps me sort out things inside my head.

Bruce Eitman said: I only needed surgery because I couldn't continue to work with the symptoms that I had.  
    ^^^ what you said^^^ This is a good point. I still am able to work except the days when I have pain/flair ups. My job is rather mentally strenuous, so it gets HARD to endure when both collides on the same day.

I did ask the questions you mentioned, he said, "It will not get better, but will only get worse. Once spinal cord is damaged, the damages will be permanent."
    ^^^This makes me almost convinced to go for the surgery. 

I fell 4-times in last 3-months due to clumsiness, and sprained my ankle (still recovering) and bruised my knee.  :|  This  perhaps is a sign that telling me that I need to pay attention to my health.

One thing I can say, however, is that some symptoms that I have been experiencing start to make sense. I wasn't making stuff up or imagining pain like some doctor thought I was. :/ 

mono-k

We agreed earlier that the decision is yours.  All I can do is discuss it with you to help you make the decision - and I am more than happy to do that.  Bounce away!

You may want to put things in columns - falling goes in the bad column especially when you injure yourself.

I can't imagine having a doctor who thought that I was making it up, so I am so happy that you found a doctor who diagnosed you.

Bruce

• Yes absolutely, Bruce. I apologize if I indicated/implied somewhere that I was asking for you to decide for me. I wasn't. I will make a chart as you suggested. Thanks again for your patience with me. I am growing impatient with myself so I know it is not easy. 
advertisement