Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Intraosseous hemangioma

DebswDDebsw South AfricaPosts: 9
Hi there, am new to this site and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience please. I have been diagnosed with a prominent vertebral intraosseous hemangioma in D12. My concern is that this is a benign tumour, however I lost my Dad and his brother to spine cancer. Should I be concerned?  I have disc herniations, stenosis, ligamentum flaum hypertrophy, pressure on the thecal sac, recess stenosis and facet joint osteoarthritis. My main question however is regarding the tumor as I have pain in right buttock with numbness in right thigh. Any similar experiences and advice most welcome, thanks
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    hello debsw !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    Hello....
    While you are waiting for members to respond with shared experiences, you may find it useful to use the search, upper right on page.
    Typing in your concerns may lead you to current or past discussions. It may lead you to the medical side of site with articles and videos. Very informative!

I found my better understanding of the healthy spine to give me more questions to jot down for doctor.

It is very good that you are working with doctors who assessed your situation.
    Please keep us posted with how you and doctors treat your spine!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Is it like a lump sticking out? 
  • DebswDDebsw South AfricaPosts: 9
    Hi Susie, not at all visible. On MRI it shows that the entire vertebrae has the tumor, otherwise I would not have known. I have severe pain in my back, not only in that area. My pain is more lower back where the disc herniations are.
    Not visible from the exterior of my back, no Susie
  • advertisement
  • maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 322

Debsw, I am freaking out right now! I had an MRI on my neck last month and the dr said it showed herniated discs at levels C5/C6. Today I asked to see the MRI report because I am in a lot of pain and wanted more info. Well this jumped out at me "Rounded T1 and T2 hyperintensive lesion in the T5 vertebral bodies consistent with intraosseous hemangioma." I googled it and I am instantly terrified! Does that mean cancer??

I know you probably cant tell me what this means and I am going to call the dr in the morning, but I am a user on this site and found your post.

Hi Maehaley, thank you for reaching out to me on my post. please do not be alarmed. i have spoken to my surgeon and he has assured me that this is not cancer, nor will it ever become cancer. Apparently this is quite common in the spine. It is rarely a diagnosis point but found whilst looking for other issues. This will not be causing your pain either. My surgeon showed me my MRI and almost the entire vertebra is the intraosseous hemangioma. The pain is from the protruded discs. I hape this helps settle your fears, as I feel much more relaxed since discussing this with my surgeon. Take care and hope your doc is able to assist you with pain relief real soon
    Oh thank you! I talked to my physical therapist today too and he said it is not something to worry about unless it starts to cause symptoms. I feel better now but it still freaks me out a little
    Dear Maehaley, unfortunately google tends to put the fear of God into most of us.  We need to remember that google includes worst case scenarios and it is natural for us to focus on those.  However, it is always good to be aware and cautious but I hope that you can move forward with the assistance of your physical therapist and get the help that you require for the more urgent issues.  Hope your pain will ease with correct pain management and that they will be able to treat you correctly.  Wishing you all the best in your journey.
    Thanks Debsw! I know you shouldn't Google :) I have been to physical therapy twice so far and it has been pretty painful, but I know this will take time and patience.

I am just curious, did your doctor recommend monitoring the hemangioma over time, or is it just something that you really don't need to keep an eye on?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.