Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar Burst Fractures & Traumatic Lumbar Scoliosis

Hello - I am wondering if anyone has experiences traumatic lumbar burst fractures (L1-2) in addition to associated traumatic lumbar scoliosis? In particular I am interested in hearing if:
1. A conservative approach of TLSO brace/limited activity x 12 weeks afforded healing and if you are years out if you've successfully been able to avoid having fusion and/or scoliosis surgery?
2. If you had associated neuropathic/radicular pain and opted the conservative route - IF the pain subsided (again time frame of when pain subsided is helpful to hear)
3. If you have adopted other non-surgical methods for stabilizing the scoliosis to avoid further lumbar scoliosis progression (i.e. PT/core strengthening, MAT therapy, etc)? 
4. If you DID have surgery - what type of surgery did you use to correct the burst fractures and scoliosis?
5. Any Forteo users who found that helped speed recovery?

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello NKS !
    Do you have spinal issues that you are requesting guidance with?

Or are you taking a survey or poll for the betterment of others?
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I have a T12 Burst fracture and quite a bit of ligament damage that would have led to a permanent forward bend in my spine without surgery.
    How much surgeon put it to me is that I had 3 options. I could brace, fixate or fuse.
    He said that were I mostly immobile with a desk job he would have recommended bracing for me because it is the least invasive.  However, because I am a high functioning athlete and require mobility of my spine I chose internal rear fixation with a likelihood of removal 6 months after installation. I did not entertain fusion at the time but I understand that my body may fuse my 3 fixated vertebrae.
    While this will require a significantly longer recovery period - I am committed to rest and physio as long as I need it in order to maintain my full range of motion and abilities pre fracture.
    I am now 9 weeks post op and have begun physio to re strengthen my core muscles. I'm hoping to start training again lightly within 4 weeks with the goal of a near complete regain of strength before my next surgery :)
    I am at this point basically pain free - but I find the hardware very annoying and do have some scar tissue in my muscles that is agitating.
    My physio based on my current ROM and physical ability is fairly confident that in a few years I will have little to no restriction in my abilities.
  • advertisement
  • Interesting. I also had a T12 burst fracture with ligament damage that due to GP failure to x-ray was undiagnosed for near 3 months. As a consequence I did develop post-traumatic kyphosis and continue to suffer from it.
    To answer the OP, a secondary consequence of scoliosis developed due to L2-L3 disc collapse and right sided foraminal stenosis. This gave me unrelenting back and flank pain from the middle of the day onwards. I tried PT, exercise, swimming, pilates, injections and osteopathy for a year. It was only resolved when I had an xlif fusion a few months ago.
    February 2015 : T12 burst fracture undiagnosed for 12 weeks
    June 2015: kyphoplasty
    December: T12-L3 facet injections
    Currently contemplating reconstruction