Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 YEARS L5-S1 HERINATION. GYM? CARDIO PROBLEMS

Im 25 year male 6'2 was in shape and worked out for years.... I'm Sure it came from gym where I used to workout hard and heavy. Saw Chiro in past and never really helped.

After having sciatica symptoms for a year now and trying to work around it.... ended up going to get an M.R.I. on lumber spine September 2014
results were found : (MRI WRITTEN REPORT)

:L5-S1 FOCAL WITH TEAR OF ANNULUS AND CAUDAL EXTENSION OF 0.4 CM
:L4-L5 BULGE
:L3-L4 BULGE
: BOTH BULGES IN THE INTERVERTEBAL DISC

That was in September..... last year I did first Epidural injection after seeing many orthopedics and then a second also last year but nothing really changed.

I still continue to do a weekly workout but eliminated a lot of things. squats/leg press/deadlifting/running/Stairmaster... etc.

my concern is I still get more of sciatica ache after workout even after stretching. yes I do feel BETTER than last year and the year before that but still cant avoid ache and sciatica.

I really wanna jog and do Stairmaster to up my training level but it seems I get flared hours after those.

all Dr's told me to therapy which I tried no different and none recommend surgery specially for my age. any ideas? has anyone been through exact thing and what to do to avoid. I am trying my best as light as I can in weight and still finding flaring not crazy pain but the ones that run to foot

advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 705
    If it were the weight lifting and cardio, why wouldn't everyone that works out get sciatica? It's really about what you do the majority of the time, rather than what you do for two hours a day that causes pain. Let's say you have a desk job and sit most of the day. That's what your muscles grow to function toward. So, sit at the desk all day. Get in the car and drive to the gym. Warm up for a few minutes and then start lifting. That's not an equal balance.... a few minutes, like even 10, of warm up after letting our muscles go dormant and imbalanced for 10 hours of work and driving, and 6 or so hours of sleep, then add a few hours for eating and watching tv. The sitting outweighs the activity by far. 

Even if your job requires standing...what if you're in one position most of the day? We still acclimate our muscles to limited, but repetitive, motions. Just as if you curled with one arm every day, it would get bigger and stronger, but would also be more susceptible to injury. That's why we need to change our routines constantly. So that all the muscles have a chance to stay involved. Stop using a muscle and it says "okay, you don't need me so find someone else to do the job". Unfortunately the other muscle that's called upon has other duties so it pushes back and the war ensues. 

Probably the best thing to do is to stay away from the extremes for now and until you get better. I had to sideline all heavy lifting, running, sports. I feel you can get all the shot's and take all the med's you want, but they won't correct your daily routine and poor postural habits (not picking on you alone - I was a spokesperson for poor habits)! 

Keep searching and be your own biggest advocate for health!