Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hand pain without neck pain

SUNNY2141SSUNNY2141 St LouisPosts: 14
edited 08/11/2016 - 3:11 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello!  Have any of you had hand pain without neck pain?  I have severe foraminal encroachment at C5-C6 and moderate at C6-C7.  We are hoping that is what is causing my thumb pain (mild), pinky ring finger pain and forearm pain.  My grip is weak. I posted earlier and had a lot of good responses regarding mild atrophy.  I appreciate the feedback!
advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 919
    Have you had an EMG performed on the hand/arm having pain and weak grip?
  • Hi sunny! I did have that for years. They thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome. I didn't find out what was wrong until I had my MRI in Nov of last year.C6-7 broad disc herniation with facet disease the disc extends to the left lateral recess& left neural foramen with impingement on the left C6-C7 nerve roots.
    My other levels have issues too but this is the big one. I don't have weakness but I drop things all the time. Almost throw them. It's as if my arm jerks. My forearm pain is like something taking a burning scraper & just grinding it across my arms. I get shock like pain too but the scraping is by far the worst symptom for me.

What's your pain like? What is your plan? Have you had the talk with you surgeon? :)
  • advertisement
  • SUNNY2141SSUNNY2141 St LouisPosts: 14

Thanks for the responses! I did have an EMG, but they only checked the thenar muscle where I thought there was atrophy.  They did do the EMG over my lower limb and spine and thankfully, it came back in normal limits.  Is the EMG different if they are looking for c-spine issues? 

Joyful - I get the forearm sensation, but I have some mild atrophy.  I am definitely going to have to do PT.   I have an appointment with the spine surgeon two weeks from now. I am just trying to figure all this out and be sure this is what is causing my problems.

SUNNY2141 - Maybe I didn't understand your question "Is the EMG different if they are looking for c-spine issues?".  My last EMG was performed on my right arm/hand.  The doctor claimed that he could pick up foraminal narrowing on nerve roots in the c-spine.  Mine was moderate, so nothing was done via surgery.
  • SUNNY2141SSUNNY2141 St LouisPosts: 14
    Nutcase - thanks for the response.  I meant I had an EMG done on my thenar muscle, but not up my arm - I was being tested for neuromuscular disease.  They tested my lower right leg, spine, larynx, thenar and I think deltoid... That is why I asked if the test was different as I was not being tested specifically for c-spine issues.  My "severe formaminal encroachment" was found on MRI.  I was just wanting clarification if the EMG is different for spinal issues - I am guessing they go up the arm or into the neck?
  • advertisement
    SUNNY2141 - I guess there is specific things that can be tested during an EMG.  My EMG needles/probes/contacts were only on my hand, lower arm and upper arm.  When the doctor doing the EMG said he was done, I was upset with him.  The doctor ordering the EMG had specified that I be checked for possible shoulder and cervical nerve root issues and he claimed that he was able to test those areas by the tests he had performed.  When I received the EMG report, it claimed that I had mild foraminal narrowing at right C6/C7.

What was not done doing the EMG, but still able to comment on cervical nerve root issues still leaves me confused.
advertisement