Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Our Blends

SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
Let's list what we currently use as our individual "blend" of pain management strategies. Next to what you use, please rate it on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being most effective, 1 being no noticeable difference. 

*** the scale does not represent how effective it would be alone, but as part of your blend.

Mine:

* oxycodone 5/325- 9
* cymbalta 40mg- 6
* ibuprofen - 3
* kratom- 6
* heating pad- 6
* lying down, resting- 5
* distraction, playing game, SH, etc.- 4
* hot bath, hot tub- 3
* stretching- 3
* walking- 5
* conscious breathing- 5
* foot/leg massage- 5
* snuggles with toddler- 6
* wine- 4

Ok...that's pretty much it for me. Ultimately, without my pain medication, none of the others - except kratom (even combined) would provide adequate relief...enough for me to engage in basic activities of daily living, and pain meds are what allow me to do many of these things. 
advertisement

Comments

• SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Oh, I forgot a couple:

* 5% lidocaine patches- 2
    * tens unit - 3
    * aspercreme, etc. - 1
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    For me:

* TENS Unit  8
          * PT (not including strength training)  8
          * PI (including strength training) 4
          * Snuggling with a dog (my kids are too old to be any good to me) 6
          * Hot tub (thanks to my awesome friends/neighbors)  8
          * Ice 9
          * Heat 0
          * Lyrica  8 at first, then messed with my head and I had to stop using it
          * Flexeril   9
          * Surgery 10
          * Scotch  (I hardly drink at all, but when I do..) 2

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,261
    *fentanyl patch 75mcg -5
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
    Ill try this again * Norco 10/325-5 *Zanaflex 4mg-2 *Diclofenac lidocaine cream-2 *Neurontin 300mg-2 *Ultram 50mg-2 *Trazadone 150mg-5 *Protonix 40mg -10 *Savella 50mg-5 *PT-0 *Walking -1 but gets me out *SH-10 *Laying down-8 with my golden retriever and 3 cats -10 *Snuggles with my husband-10 *Talking with my psychologist-10 the pain is still there but my spirit bounces back.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    Ahhh..
    How could I have left out my CP therapist?

• advertisement
  • Hello all

Hydromorphone 7

zanaflex  5

flexeril 5

fioracet 6

requip 5

ambien 4

tens unit 4

gabapentin 5

ice 6

heat -5 hurts me!

watching movie 2

I noticed some listed trazadone.  What is that for sleep or what?

A side note, I met a man today who's company represents Gp's who believe narcotic pain meds hinder their patients from returning to work as fast as those who do not use them.  When I expressed my opinion that I thought pain meds would help workers return faster because of pain reduction he thought I was crazy.  He stated that we all become addicted to meds thereby prolonging the loss of time from work.  Am I crazy? Am I missing something?  I have heard it all now.  I cannot believe dr's would believe such a thing. 

dmo

Wow, dmo. Just wow. No, you are not crazy.

Maybe some are getting addicted to that opiod hype kool-aid that's out there ;)
  • maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 322
    That's the problem! A lot of doctors have adopted that mentality making it harder for those of us who need medication to get it. You are not crazy!
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    morphine - 9 for pain relief, but I'm useless on it
    gabapentin - 8, but withdrawal was horrible, no longer using
    Advil - 3
    extra strength Tylenol - 1
    baclofen - 6
    PT - 8, but only for a few days
    surgery - 7
    voltaren emulgel - 2
    acupuncture - negative 4!
    walking - more preventative
    aquacise - reduces muscle spasms - 6
    my barley bag (microwavable heat) - 5
    comfort eating - 0

I had to give up NSAIDS, too hard on my tummy, so I'm down to only using morphine and baclofen when things are unbearable.  I'm worried about the long-term effects of taking medication when it's not very effective anyway.  But I'll be asking my doctor about the possibilities of something not quite as zombie-making as morphine when I see him this week.

Trazadone was prescribed to me years ago as a sleep aid due to fibromyalgia. It is also used for depression.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Moderator
advertisement