Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Our Blends

advertisement

Comments

• Thanks memerainbolt
    dmo

• maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 322

I am kind of in the middle of my chronic pain journey. After suffering from chronic "tension headaches" for about 3 or 4 years I finally decided that something else must be going on because my pain was getting worse despite the medication that I am on. I asked my doctor for an MRI. She ordered an MRI of my brain, which showed nothing, so she referred me to a Neurologist who ordered an MRI of my neck and some additional medication. I am still waiting on the results of the MRI with the hopes that I will get some answers and be able to develop a treatment plan.

In the meantime, here is my "blend". It is hard for me to rate the effectiveness right now because I am generally not feeling well and am getting less relief than I have in the past.

Vicoprofen 3x per day

Flexiril 2x per day

Gabapentin 3x per day

Lexepro

Xanax 3x per day (sometimes to help me sleep)

Nuvigil

I do not exercise as I should so maybe that would help a little. To distract myself I have been doing a lot of research on chronic pain and depression and feel way more educated and prepared to talk to my doctors. I also love to hug my children. That is the best feeling in the world! I lay down and use heat when I can, but with 3 children and a full time job that can be hard to do. I also love to read.

I have some various doctors appointments coming up so I am hoping to get some answers and find a new "blend" that will provide me some relief.

My pain is not nearly as debilitating as it is for some other members whose stories I have read in these forums and my heart goes out to all of you!

• advertisement
  • Intracecal Dilaudid & Bupivicaine (Medtronic pump) 7
    Norco 10/325, 6
    Baclofen 5
    Diflonac Sodium 5
    Savella 6
    Volteran gel 4
    TENS unit 4
    OTC: cold packs, heat pads, Icy Hot w/ lidocaine
    Fuzzy four-legged comfort: my lovable clingy, whiny chihuaha that demands all the attention and half of the bed
    A couple times throughout my CP experience I've been told I'm on a lot of painkillers. I don't see how because I'm only prescribed 2 opioid medications, and the majority are non-narcotic.  It's the standard compilation of medication used to treat chronic pain: an extended release, a short-acting for breakthrough pain, muscle relaxer, anti-inflammatory, and one to relieve nerve pain. I've also had rounds of PT, aquatherapy, ESI's, RFA's, spinal surgery, and SCS & pump trials. I rely on rest and distraction when the pain flares up, and watch tv, movies, read, or surf the web. My dog senses when I'm not well and he'll stick to me like glue. I can't imagine not having my spoiled furry companion  :)
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • My blend is a very big blend! The idea of the blend is such a good one.

Tramadol   8
    Gabapentin   7
    Cymbalta   3
    Ibuprofen   5
    Tylenol   2
    Voltarol Gel   3

Electric Heat pad   5
    Ice  4
    Loud music (specific types) through headphones  5
    TENS   7
    Therapeutic breathing  4
    Alcohol -5 (so I don't drink)
    Relaxation exercises  3
    Meditation   2
    Foam roller and stretching   3
    Hot bath   2
    Hot tub   6
    Massage and cuddles with partner  5
    Time with friends and family   4
    Eating something delicious   2
    Golden milk   2.5
    Chamomile/Valerian tea  2.5
    Talking therapy   3
    Resting on back   6
    Watching TV e.g. boxset  3
    Helping someone else   2
    Being very comfortable e.g.. pillows, duvet, correct mattress, soft linens  3
    Cool fan  1.5 (I don't know why my fan helps!)
    Encouraging self-talk  3

Prevention blend (difficult to evaluate effectiveness).

PT and walking 
    Staying organised and on top of stress.
    Creating the conditions for enough sleep.
    Making sure good nutrition and hydration for energy and disc health. 
    Being assertive. 
    Making sure there are breaks for fun. 
    Pacing the day
    Spending even a small amount of time outdoors. 
    Keeping up personal care for mood and self-esteem. 

advertisement