Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

oxytocin

My doctor is 'upgrading' my medication to oxytocin- which I've never taken before. I know none of us are doctors, but l'd like to know, in your experience, what i'm in for in terms of side effects and how to mitigate what she warned most about- it being extremely addictive
Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Oxycodone? 
  • Yes. I by accident wrote the local generic name. Sorry
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    dazc

if you use the spine-health search tool, see searching spine-health for information to search for oxycodone, you will find several discussions about it.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Hi dazc,

What are they upgrading from?

I was switched from hydrocodone to oxycodone. For me, it provides much better and longer lasting pain control.

Just take it as prescribed, only for pain, and only as much as you need to get your pain to a manageable level (you can complete your activities of daily living without much discomfort). Keep a log of how much you use and when. Communicate openly and honestly with your doctor. 

Do those things, and you will be fine. 

Do you live with someone you absolutely trust (wife/partner)? If so, you could ask them to hold and administer your meds exactly  as prescribed. 

Have you had problems with addiction to other substances in the past?

Sara :) 
  • Thanks Sooverit,

I was on percocet (a blend of a low dose of oxycodone and paracetamol) and clonazepam (recommended by th neurologist for muscle spasms) . I'm not the addictive type- took the same doses of meds for 3 years with noproblem. So far I'm on a low dose of 20mg oxy per day- but its not helping much. will give it a few more days before taking more.

• advertisement
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Oh, are you on extended release...oxycontin? I didn't get much relief from the extended release med I tried (nucynta). If you aren't getting enough relief (and you are on oxycontin), perhaps they can give you a couple oxycodone per day for breakthrough pain.

If you haven't had problems with addiction with your past meds, and you trust that you will use your meds appropriately, you will not have a problem. Don't let the hype keep you from getting the relief you need to live a decent life!

Take care,
    Sara :) 
  • Never heard of extended release oxy. Will ask my doctor.
    Thanks!
advertisement