Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I have been in pain for more than 6 years. It started in my neck and it has grown.

advertisement

Comments

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    I just read you have dealt with myopathy, this can most certainly cause issues all over especially if was in neck. I have issues all over from injury to spinal cord, nerve damage and such misfiring

I wonder why the chiropractor said issues at T12 were uncommon?  The areas of the thoracic spine most common compared to the rest are at T1 and T12 singe they are in the transition area between cervical and lumbar so they move more than rest of spine which also means more prone to issues.  There is even a hard to diagnose comdition that happens in that area at times that I cannot quite remember name at this time. Will get back on that.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Aaron?
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
    edited 08/21/2016 - 10:39 AM
    That is one but the one I was trying to think of is called Maigne syndrome that occurs in thorocolumbar junction. Not saying this has anything to do with the issues the poster has , but when I was at the height of my thoracic issues I always heard how it's so much more common in lower thoracic or thorocolumbar junction
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Interesting...thanks for the education, once again! 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Getting "hanged" in physiotherapy is really cool. The way they did it here (this was at least 10 years ago, it may have changed), they put a strap around your chin, and another bunch of straps around your shoulders, and a computerized pulley pulls chin up and shoulders down, to stretches your neck, widens the intervals between the compacted  "C" discs (how i compacted the discs is another story). It takes 3 or 4 sessions, i repeated the treatment twice, about a year apart.
    Don't know if they do that in the US, but its pretty standard here for cervical disc problems.
    There is a youtube video on "overdoor neck traction", which is the home version of the procedure- but it doesn't look like anything I'd want to try. 
    I kind of miss the neck problems- at least they were treatable, as opposed to what I have now.  
    What's inversion?
    David C
  • advertisement
    Oh ok I think it's call a decompression machine here.  I have the door traction, really like it.  An inversion table is a rotating table that can strap into and flip upside down supported to essentially reverse effects of gravity and stretch out disc space.
  • I get headaches from my neck problems including muscle spasm headaches and the only solution I have found is to lay down for an hour or two with my head resting on a thin pillow.  I usually take Excedrin as well but that doesn't seem to help too much.  My theory is that decompressing my spine helps.  Just figure I would throw that in.

• David what is the hanged treatment? I have never heard of that , is it inversion?

Oh ok I was thinking just spine based, but that makes something like fibromyalgia or TMS more possible I guess.  But If you feel originates in spine do not give up on that theory unless proven otherwise. Tracie have you had spinal cord issues in past or discs impinging spinal cord?  I had false piositive EMG saying carpel tunnel also and doctors finally agreed was probably a neck issues after having several that didn't match results.

My C5/C6 disc was impinging on my spinal cord and caused permanent damage as far as we can tell so far. I had that fused almost 2 years ago. There isn't much room for my spinal cord from C4-C7. the discs above and below were bulging a little bit but as the doc said " they shouldn't be causing pain". They have pretty much implied that I just have to live with it and there is nothing they can do. I don't necessarily want drugs for every day but the days when it is so horrible and I don't want to get out of bed to go to work suck. Even when I don't go to work I am studying most of the day.
    Tracie C
  • Update from MRI- So there is a bulge in the disk on the right side at about L6/S1 ( yes, that is right, I have 6 Lumbar vertebrae not 5 like most people). This explains the sciatica issues on the right side but not the left. I also have a disc a little further up that was thinning. Nothing that warrants surgery. Nothing explains the locked feeling at T12/S1. Everything looks fine. They didn't take pictures of my neck which didn't surprise me but he pulled up the MRI from last year and we looked at that again- It looks like a mess in there but apparently it looks fine to him. The left side might be from the spinal cord damage in the neck. Sounds like a long shot but I did have myelopathy from the herniation at C5/C6. I also brought up with him about what I am supposed to do about the pain in my neck when I am already on a lot of meds that are just not working. He requested that I try dry needling again and think about cortisteroid injections which are on my banned list of drugs. There is another post about this on another board. I am also being referred to a rheumatologist so we can get me tested for other issues or disease that might be causing the pain. I don't know what else to do and I feel like they leave me to fend for myself.
    Tracie C
advertisement