Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Yet another newbie with pain

Hi all,

I'm Nicole. Just turned 50yr in Sacramento CA. I have a 29yr daughter who has a 3yr grandson (Jordan, he's the one in my avatar with his dog Lucky) I had a work related injury 7/02 where my desk was not ergonomically correct. After a mis-diagnosis of fibromyalgia I finally had a discogram/ CT/MRI which showed tearing and protrusion of C3-C4, C4-C5, C5-C6, upper extremity parenthesis, migraines, CRSP. At age 38yrs I was told I could never work again. I was medically retired from the state of California. I had just finished paralegal school was preparing to enter law school. 

Having to "fight" work comp, disability put me into a deep depression/suicidal thoughts. After a 3 year fight with an attorney I was granted SSDI by a judge who told work comp that I should never have had to fight this long to "prove" myself. So where did that leave me? Depressed, broke (had to live off savings for years, had to file bankruptcy, my credit score before work comp/iinjury was in the 800's) 

I've taken all kinds of meds, norco, Vicodin, fentanyl patches, flexeril, hdryocodone, 3 series of injections into my neck, PT, Chiropractor. 3 separate Neurosurgoens told me I was NOT a candidatefor surgery. My Dr asked me to try (with the approval of the pain Dr) Methadone. This only takes the edge off but it worked well enough to get my life back. 

My insurance changed (lovely Medicare :s as my primary then a PPO for the secondary this is part of my retirement package) so I was forced to find another Dr to Rx my methadone. I found one, she was an FP (family practice Dr, not a pain management) this was 6 yrs ago. At this time I was on 80mgs of Methadone. Pain management has told me to keep seeing my primary due to they can't make any $$$ off my insurance with more testing and or surgery since I've tried everything they've asked me to do (just my opinion as I had worked in the medical field) 

So as time has passed I have lost weight, go to the gym 4-5 times per week am active with my 3yr grandson, socializing again, just having a life. Plus on my own I weaned myself down from 80mgs to 20mgs per day of Methadone (again this only takes the edge off my pain, we chronic pain-ers know we will never be pain free) So at my last Dr appointment my Dr tells me she is no longer rx'ing my Methadone due to the crack down from the DEA. I have been a compliant patient, random urine tests, signed pain contract, pill counts, weaned myself down. GREAT!!! Now what?

She wants me to try suboxone. I have read up on this med, here and on their website. I feel as if I'm starting all over again, having to "prove" I have chronic pain. I'm afraid I will end up right back to the depression/suicidal thoughts. Having no life. My Dr filled my Rx for this month only. So I told her to go ahead and send in the referral to see pain management about suboxone. 

I'm in pain and I'm scared.

Nicole
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,441
    Hello Nicole

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Crackers50Crackers50 Sacramento. CA Posts: 16
    Thanks Liz,

I was just telling my story. 

Nicole
  • advertisement
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Hi Nicole,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your story.

I'm sorry to hear all you have gone through. In my wildest dreams, I never imagined I would be a chronic pain sufferer, or go through all that I have trying to "prove" something is really wrong with me. It's been a long couple of years, and my life has changed so much. I can totally relate to what you are going through. 

I know it's frightening to be switched to new meds- especially if what you have has been working. However, I've heard really good things about suboxone for pain. Im guessing you will be given a patch. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to deal with pills anymore?

Honestly, if we hadn't gotten to the point where I'm having surgery next week, I would have asked the new pm I was going to see to try me on suboxone. I think he would have been open to it, as he has promoted its use for chronic pain within the pain management/neuromedicine national community. 

What are your specific concerns about trying suboxone, and what are you currently taking? Have you asked your doctor what the plan is if, for some reason, the suboxone is not a good fit for you?

Sara :) 
  • Crackers50Crackers50 Sacramento. CA Posts: 16
    Thanks for responding to my post Sara.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, busy with "life"  I guess I'm afraid of changing my meds. Since 20mgs of Methadone has helped me keep my life for this long I figure why change it? 

I'm awaiting the call back from pain management to get an appointment. I hate that I need to do this yet again, but I will be open to what he/she says. I'm not willing to get more injections, done that. Since I have so many disc levels that are damaged no Neuro wants to operate (I really don't want surgery anyway) 

Thank you for the advice. I will be asking what the next step will be if the suboxone doesn't work for me.

Nicole
advertisement