Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Treating the scar

Hi...vain I know...but I was wondering on the correct procedure to care for my incision and minimise scarring? I am 2 weeks post op. I dont  have my follow up for another 8 weeks and I wasnt give much advice in regards to how to look after it now the dressing is off? Should it be left uncovered now ? And should i be moisturising or massaging it? I had dissolvable stitches after. Thank you for any help xz
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi
    I was told once the dressing was off, to leave it off. Other than regular bathing/showering, I haven't done anything. Its on my back so not easy to see and, frankly, not a huge concern for me. At two weeks post op it may still be healing. Have you asked your doctor?
    Ellen 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Jamie

To be so vain :) it must be on your neck.  So is mine.  I was told to massage it, but that seemed like work.  So I just left it alone and I is barely visible today.  I am 9 months post-op, but it has been nearly invisible for several months.

If in doubt, call your surgeon's office.  You don't need to talk with the surgeon, someone there should be able to advise you.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Ask someone at your surgeon or doctor's office about either Mederma or Bio-Oil, and when it would be safe to begin using either one. 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Thank you all. Bruce, it's not my neck
  • MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 217
    I had my husband to apply Mederma to my back once it had healed enough that there was no risk of it causing infection.  Everyone always marvels at how well my incision has healed.
    Alas, now I need revision surgery, which will be a 360, which means that I will have both a new back incision plus a front incision and another incision to gather bone material from my hip for the fusion. 
    I'm glad that I gave up on the idea of wearing bikinis many years ago, but I really don't look forward to having that many scars on my body.  Before the spine surgery, the only surgery scar that I had was for an appendectomy, and it's barely visible.
  • advertisement
  • Thank you. Sorry for the short answer Bruce!! It was much longer but somehow only the first sentence was printed making me look extremely rude!! Its on my back and if ots like my c section I'm sure it'll fade to barely visible (fingers crossed)X
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    No problem Jamie.  I didn't think it was rude at all.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 447
    My physiotherapist recommended massaging castor oil over the scarred area post-surgery, once it's totally closed up, usually a couple of weeks (check with surgeon).  The recommendation was actually to help with developing scar tissue internally, to keep it pliable and hopefully avoid the usual issues many people have with scar tissue later on.  I've been using it, and every doctor that looks at my scar remarks at how well it has healed :)
advertisement