Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Strained neck - causes pseudo cardiac failure when bending head forward? Fatigued, easily winded

I was using a cervical decompression device which caused a strained neck, and it obviously made one of neck's vertebra very loose because I could control its position just by swinging around my neck causing various phenomena to happen. Swing it to my left, left ear-ache; Swing to my front, chest pressure; Swing to my back, dizzy/vertigo (Room looks like it's vibrating left/right.). It was a balancing game trying to keep it in the center so not to make my day too symptomatic.

Anyway, that was a week ago. It seems like it's been healing up for the most part. It's no longer quite the hassle to maintain like it once was, but it still seems to have some symptoms, tends to be more symptomatic in the morning and evening. Swinging the head forward seems to knock the neck vertebra forward and seems to reduce my heart's output. I can tell because I get very easily winded as if I had heart failure, I feel like a tired, old man that's about to pass out, sometimes I feel some chest discomfort, it's absolutely ridiculous. The solution is very simple - I knock my head back, and the vertebra does a double "crink,crink"(It used to click) and it puts it back in place and I feel fine. I can run miles with aplomb, and I can climb mountains like the 29 year old beast I am. I /suspect/ it's pressing against the sympathetic nerves to the heart in the neck (I'm not exactly sure where, but I'd hazard a guess somewhere between C5-T1), and its reducing the heart's output. The heart has other lead-ins from C1,C2,C3 and directly from the brain-stem, so luckily that's keeping me alive, at least long enough to fix it.

Anyone else have this experience? This just seems so weird, and I was concerned about a week ago that bending my neck forward would cause heart attacks, because it very clearly felt like it at the time. I had to go to sleep without my pillow, because I couldn't risk my neck bending forward triggering one. At the time, the idea seemed absolutely ridiculous and I thought I was going to die at any moment, but it's been healing for a week now and it's a little less traumatic than it once was, and I actually kind of understand what's going on now. (Whereas, it was completely mysterious why bending my head forward seemed like it was triggering a heart attack. Made no sense to me whatsoever at the time, didn't fit my idea of how a 'heart attack' normally acted. Felt like I was playing some mysterious game with the grim reaper, where I had to quickly figure out the rules or DIE.)
advertisement

Comments

• aswheeler77aaswheeler77 Posts: 4
    edited 08/22/2016 - 1:01 PM
    I was loosening up my back because I suspected the fact it was 'solidified'/inflexible was what lead to the upper back 'muscle spasm' that woke me from my sleep yesterday. Anyway, I went to bed last night, and woke with that characteristic pain at the left base of the neck and intense burning pain coming out the left side of my chin. I worried this was an MI, and that my loosening of the back contributed somehow, and it felt like my heart lept through my throat shortly after pressing on my upper rib (Seems to trigger the top of the thoracic/bottom of neck). I was half expecting some crescendoing finale of some sort, but looking online, it appears burning nerves extending from the neck to wherever they end up are fairly common so I assumed this was 'irritated neck nerves' of some sort and just went back to sleep. I'm doing fine, and I passed my morning exercise test with vigor.

Of course, I did wake with that tiredness that's characteristic of sleeping through an anxiety-riddled night. It didn't stop my passing of the exercise test.
  • Drinking some molasses sweetened cocoa and eating two bananas and some nuts, I could feel my heart 'jump' and it appears like looking down doesn't cause left chin pain unlike earlier this morning. It feels like I can suddenly look down with no noticeable issues. I would speculate, based on the cocoa being as delicious as it was, I may have been running hypoglycemic. I guess 35 G carb of rice at 8 p.m. and an apple might not be enough carbs? Maybe it's something else, the pain in the back of my neck is increasing.
  • advertisement
  • aswheeler77aaswheeler77 Posts: 4
    edited 08/22/2016 - 2:58 PM
    Starting to get a crescendoing burning sensation in my chin, down my left neck and into my first rib bone (feels like upper chest is burning), obviously originating from the base of the neck. Recognizing this pain radiation pattern, I  stood up straight and kept the head upwards, stopping it in its tracks.

That was the burning sensation I was getting in my left chin at 2:00 a.m. this morning. I'm starting to think that 'loosening the back'/'making it more flexible' migth've been unwise. Granted, my back didn't spasm sleeping through the night (Like I was trying to achieve), but this burning sensation is kind of unsettling. I think the back needs to be solidified to minimize movement between the vertebra, in particular at the base of the neck where it appears it might be a bit too loose(Ligaments, I'm guessing), so to minimize nerve irritation and these engulfing burning sensations. I'm not quite sure why it would be like this - I would think the back is designed to be flexible, if one is designed to move all day?

Granted, I did strain my neck (pretty badly, apparently) with the cervical decompression device, and the body was obviously not designed for that.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello aswheeler77 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello....
    I am very curious ...could you tell us as to what your doctor has said about all your symptoms that you have mentioned above?
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
advertisement