Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Broken rod's

My wife Sue had spine surgery in 2010. She has 2 rod's from the base of her spine too just below her neck. The med part of her spine had degenerated so much the doctor could not fuse in that area. She keeps braking the rods, going on the fourth time. They all brake at the lower part of her spine. My question is, do the manufactures of the titanium rods have any responsibility in why the rods keep braking. 
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,249
    I would start with your surgeon.   Since this is the 4th time in breaking a rod, something is not correct.   What kind of rod is it and from what spinal levels does it start and then end?

What could be the potential causes?
    1. Surgical problem, rods not installed perfectly
    2. You wife over does things, and puts too much strain on the rods
    3. Manufacturing defect
    I think it may be difficult to get an answer to #1.   I also seriously doubt that there is anything that your wife could have done to break these rods.   They should be able to handle normal wear and tear.

So, that lefts the manufacturer.   This may be a difficult situation to prove one way or the other.   I said start with your surgeon, but at the same time, you can do some research n the maker of those rods.   If you dig deep enough you should be able to find some statistics on faulty rods.

How is your wife feeling once one of those rods break?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • JimBushnellJJimBushnell Vancouver, WA.Posts: 2
    This is the first findings after her first surgery. Posterior fusion with paraspinal titanium rods and pedicle screws extend from T5 to the sacrum and across the sacroiliac joints. Compression with anterior wedging of T7, T11, T12 and L2 is unchanged. Mild thoracic kyphosis is unchanged. Positive sagittal imbalance is present. There is normal coronal balance.
    Endplate spurring is present throughout the thoracic and lumbar spine. Degenerative  disk disease of the lower cervical spine is unchanged. The bones are diffusely osteopenic. This was back in 2010.
    Sue has some discomfort and is in bed most of the time. We will see her spine surgeon next Wed.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello JimBushnell !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History