Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Not ready, but Dr. says back to work

I had surgery 7/20/2016. I am 5 weeks post op. It was a micro disectomy  and laminectomy (sp) on L5-S1. I have been out of work for the whole time. I am having alot of burning and pain in my bum and sitting is impossible without pain. I can go about 2 hours and my lower back is so tired I feel like I will break in half. It always irritates my nerve. I feel another 2 weeks would be best as I do not want this pain to reoccur. My Dr. says that irritation will last for awhile, but no reason to be out longer. Has anyone experienced this? I am not sure what to do? Thanks for any help!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304
    What the doctors is doing is clearing you to go back to work.
    That does not mean you have to do that.
    Listen to your own, understand that if you back next week, how would it be  back on the job.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    edited 08/25/2016 - 11:37 AM
    Nicker7

Welcome to the Spine-Health forums.

Is it possible to discuss this with your employer?  They may make accommodations for you.  I was able to start back to work half time during my recovery.

Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started Welcome to Spine-Health

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • My job is not understanding. They woudnt even fill out my fmla paperwork for job protection for the full 12 werks federally allowed. I don't see any option but to go bit of it reoccur I am going to be so upset. I feel like my opinion doesn't even count. 
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    I disagree a bit , if your dr releases you and you are on short term pay or you company is not understanding you could be fired without FMLA, or at minimum lose pay .  It is illegal for them not to file this I believe, FMLA can protect your job for up to 12 weeks so I would look into this.
    Why does the doctor care if you are out to heal if you have history of work?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I don't understand myself. I tried to advise her it's 12 weeks but she wrote the fmla paperwork out to expire 8/31/16. My understanding was it runs from the start date for a 1 year period. She said this situation will be corrected after surgery and I will not use fmla. I have no idea why the Dr. will not give more time. I guess because they are saying I need more time in papetwork? I have worked at my job 10 years, so I have history for sure.  I have paid for the short term disability for those 10 years! I only want another week or two. So 7 weeks total. I think that's not too much to ask, right?
  • advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Drs need to understand that STD/LTD is no different than car insurance or house insurance.  It's paid for to protect a person in health time, this time for you.  If more time that you are not getting full pay allows you to do better long term it's a smart choice, but I suspect the dr is going off the blanket knowledge that for most getting back to work earlier the better , but one individual care the doctor cannot know what you feel .
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi Nicker7
    I had the same surgery in the same spot. My doctor was going to give me 4 weeks off but when I explained I had a long commute, he gave me an extra 2 weeks. My employer is too small to have to follow FMLA but held my job for me anyway.

I don't understand why your job wont put you on fmla. Can you look up the federal website and see what the regulation is? Some states, like mine, have their own version.
    Ellen 
  • She has paperwork that she had drawn up by an attorney. My Dr. filled out the fmla paperwork. The time to be missed was written as intermittent as who know when your back acts up. I tried to explain this is supposed to be 12 weeks in one year. That's what fmla law states, a federal law! She did point out a section that says if you are an essential employee, you can be replaced? I am so frustrated that i just give up honestly 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304
    The STD and LTD leaves are benefits that most companies offer.  I was on STD 4 different times in the last 5 years I worked with IBM.

As far as finding a replacement or holding your job... The detailed writing states that they will do everything possible to hold the same position for you when your leave is over.  If your job is no longer required, the company will try to find you another position.

Just keep in mind, that if a company wants to let you go, there are so many ways they can do this is still stay within the legal boundaries of company and federal leaves
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement