Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

emg for posterior branch of brachial plexus

Hello,
      I have been suffering from excruciating neck pain and have had an mri scan which reveales the intra vertebral disc  at the level of c4 c5 protruding into the foramen. Since actual compression of the nerve root cannot be shown on an mri the doctor suggested an emg of the brachial plexus to confirm compression.And here is where the shoe pinches.
Since I am having back neck pain compression of the root leading to poterior rami c4 c5 should be tested.But normal emg procedure is for the anterior rami.I have downloaded emg books from the net and there is no mention of posterior rami.
Can anyone help?
advertisement

Comments

• Sadly nobody here is able to provide any medical advice by the rules of the forum, and I'm not sure your question can be adequately answered without providing any medical advice or a medical assessment. My recommendation is to contact your doctor and see if he /she can address your concerns.
  • Hello,
           Thank you for your reply.Actually the muscles to be tested by inserting a needle ( as is done in emg) are the semispinalis capitis group of muscles which are supplied by the postererior rami of the lower cervical nerves.
    Could you just say emg involving postererior rami  of spinal nerves is possible or not?
    That won't be breaking the forum rules.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello gorachand !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History