Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Leg pain - when does it ease up

I'm 7 weeks out of ALIF L5-S1 fusion surgery. Everything is healing beautifully and I'm off meds, but I'm still experiencing severe aching and cramping in my quads and upper legs. Every thing I can find online only talks about lower leg pain. Anyone experienced this and if yes, when does relief begin? I had this exact same issue during pregnancies so I'm hoping it WILL resolve when nerves calm down... 
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 08/29/2016 - 4:41 AM

Alison

Where you get nerve pain and cramping somewhat depends on which nerve roots were irritated and inflamed.  Typically with the L5-S1 level you get sciatic nerve pain... but it's not a firm rule.  I had nerve pain down almost the full length of my right leg after my second fusion surgery... especially in my quads.  It really sucks... but nerve healing is a really SLOW process.  Hang-in there it will eventually subside...   Are you walking outside every day?

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • twindhamttwindham Tennessee Posts: 28
    Wow your post is encouraging ...I am 4 weeks out of Lumbar Spinal Fusion
    L5 S1  and to hear that you are healing Beautifully and off Meds Wow!! 
    I have nerve pain on my left leg it was the whole left leg but now just left shin and top and bottom of my foot - I'm still on Meds the pain is excruciating but I am Hopeful and taking it slowly doing some exercises-- Thankfully there is no rush to go to work so that's why I'm able to take it slow. 
    Thanks for Sharing and I hope you have relief soon with Nerve Pain!!
    I tend to use Gabapentin and Pain Med hopefully not much longer and rub Aloe Vera Gel or Spray Solarcaine - The Lidocaine seems to help. I do read that Capsaicin ieven though it will also Burn its suppose to help but have not tried it yet .... Maybe I will get Brave - it's just a tough thought  when my foot already burns like Heck!!
    Heal up!! :)
  • advertisement
  • 7 months post op 360 2 level fusion, my doc says i have peripheral neuropathy (leg pain).  Been taking neurontin, not sure it really helps.  My surgeon says despite 7 months post op,  the legs pain should resolve itself, but I am starting to wonder.