Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 days post-op for L4-L5 Laminectomy

ShivayaSShivaya Quebec, CanadaPosts: 36
edited 08/30/2016 - 1:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello!
i made a thread on thursday explaining i was having a microdisectomy on friday. turns out it was something else - a laminectomy!

anyways. the relief i got from the surgery was immediate. the day after the surgery, they sat me down to have breakfast, and i simply couldn't believe it.  before that, i had a pain in my hip that would prevent me from doing that. i had been in that predicament for several months.

i am back home now, and i think this is when the tough part begins. i am usually a very active person, and now i pretty much have to wait. my nerve pain is pretty much gone, but i have leftover pain in my hip from not being able to move it for almost a year. i am walking around the block twice a day. sometimes i feel the nerve pain run down my leg, but only ever so slightly. i am off pain killers. i am tapering of lyrica.

tomorrow i get to take the bandage off and have a shower. next week the staples come out.  slowly but surely, time will pass.

i still feel "fragile" and am very worries about injuring myself at this point, but i am assuming this is normal.

i'll keep you guys in the loop
nic

as this new discussion has been started i am closing the other one and posting this link to it, keeping all responses together
https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/93412/treatment/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/l4-l5-microdisectomy-tomorrow-s#latest
liz, spine-health moderator

advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like a good first step.  It is a journey.  There are bumps on the road to recovery, so don't worry too much and listen to your body.

Laminectomy is pretty normal I think.  They just drill a hole in the lamina (back of vertebra) to get to the disc.  also vents off any other pressure.

In the first few days, you are getting off the various pain medications.  Then after a week or so, you incision is starting to heal and that swelling begins to go down.  I'm at 11 days post L4-L5 right now.  I'm totally bored as I feel great but the doctor said to do nothing due to the severity.  The guidelines of 6 weeks to get everything healed up seems to take forever.

Also, all of these are different.  Unfortunately, I had a bad L5-S1 3 years ago that landed me in the ER and a rushed surgery.  That took a long time to get over the pain and a long time to get use of my right leg back.  This time, it was progressive pain I tried to work through.  Right after the surgery this time, I'm feeling good.  I woke on day 3 and forgot about the pain meds until that night, so I just decided to stay off them.  The incision has been itching for the past few days, and that has been the worst part.  I'll say I am lucky so far.
    L5-S1 herniation (10mm), April 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy May 1st 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy April 18th 2016

https://www.sandiegosteve.info/me/lumbar-laminectomy-surgery-recovery/
  • ShivayaSShivaya Quebec, CanadaPosts: 36
    the itching!!! I am on day 14 now and trust me, I know all about the itching. It'll drive you crazy at times!
  • advertisement