I am now a full two years post fusion from T1 to Pelvis. In this time I've had several follow ups with my surgeon and he was quite pleased with his work. My concern is whether I should see him for new issues of instability and horrible constant pain that seems to originate in the area of the anchor screws into my pelvis. In a like situation with a prior fusion, by a different Doctor, when I complained of problems he reviewed X-rays and said all was well. I eventually sought a second opinion and it was determined the fusion had in fact failed. Unfortunately, but in reality, an additional consideration now faced is the added expense in the required diagnostics - MRI, etc. that a new doctor will certainly want to perform. In the example cited, the second Doctor didn't like the original MRI despite it just having been performed. I am in a pain management program but like everyone else their goal is to eliminate pain meds or document the attempt by having me undergo every alternative treatment possible.
The quality of life I now have leaves much to be desired and I know it affects those who are closest to me. I have begun to question the return on investment by seeking additional treatment as it relates to adversely impacting my family's financial well being. I can't help but think I may have come to expect too much from medical science regarding improvement in quality of life. How many of you have considered, or have made the decision, to exhaust all treatment options versus accepting your condition to be as good as it gets?