Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

5 month old baby and needing back surgery

I was about to go ahead with a spinal fusion last year after 17 years of back pain, but found out right before my consultation with the surgeon, that my husband and I were expecting our 4th child. She is now 5 months old and I am in constant pain. The pain is in my low back and down both of my legs. I went in for a consult with the surgeon and had a new MRI taken the first of August. The MRI showed that the stenosis in my back got considerably worse over the course of a year, as well as my pain, so the surgeon recommended surgery once again. My insurance company refused to pay for surgery saying it had been too long since I had gone through physical therapy. I just finished my 5th session of physical therapy and the therapist told me he did not feel comfortable doing therapy with me because of the weakness in my leg. He recommends surgery as well. I now have another appointment with the surgeon scheduled for September 6th and I am planning on going ahead with the surgery. I am very nervous, especially since my baby is so young and I am still breastfeeding. Luckily, I have a lot family support and my husband works from home, so I will never be without help. I am just wondering if anyone else has had back surgery with a nursing baby.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi I recently had a fusion and needed lots of pain meds. I don't think that I could have been able to not take meds. It's very painful surgery. That being said, you would not want the baby to have those meds and also positioning a baby for breastfeeding may be hard when you are sore. Good luck, Helen 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    edited 08/30/2016 - 7:50 PM
    aellis26

welcome to the spine-health forums.

we do have members with similar situations.  luckily for me, my babies were old enough to help take care of me.  i suspect that members will have some helpful suggestions.

you say your spine, but can you narrow down where on your spine?

please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started welcome
    to spine-health

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • I am having problems at L4, L5 and S1 levels. I have degenerative disc disease and spondylolisthesis at L5. There is basically no disc left at L5.
  • Thank you. It is a very big concern for me taking pain meds after surgery while breastfeeding. I have had a lengthy conversation with my daughter's pediatrician about what is safe and not safe for me to take. I'm still worried though :)
  • My surgery is now scheduled for next week, Monday September 26th. I am very nervous, but relieved to be moving forward.
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 451
    We'll be pulling for you here :) Try not to second-guess your decision, now that you've made it.  You've been well-informed and weighed the risks.  Adopt a positive attitude going forward, and gear yourself up for being a good patient, doing whatever it takes to make the surgery a success!  Keep in touch :)
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Good luck on Monday

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thank you :)
  • RAMRRAM FloridaPosts: 72
    edited 09/21/2016 - 9:48 AM

aellis26 said:

My surgery is now scheduled for next week, Monday September 26th. I am very nervous, but relieved to be moving forward.

I too am having surgery that day. I hope you get some pain relief. Please join us on the September Surgery Buddies thread below if you would like to share.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562
    Please check (if you havent alreadydone this) about using opioids during breast feeding and then eventual breast feeding
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement