Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery from ACDF and c4-c7 posterior fusion surgery

Hi everybody! Like the title says, I'm currently recovering from ACDF anterior surgery and a fusion of my c4-c7 posterior surgery. There's a plate in the front of my neck, a couple rods, and a handful of screws. Based on my x rays, every surgeon couldn't believe I wasn't paralyzed. I'm just about five weeks post op and healing relatively quickly, and only my back incision has to be bandaged and cleaned still. Stitches all came out about two weeks ago, and I'll be back at the doctors office in just a couple days. I'm still in a Miami-J collar 24/7. I'm 19 years old and my surgeons all said I'll recover well because I'm young (yay!) but right now I'm still having a lot of difficulty sleeping due to the pain. I've been prescribed amitriptyline and its doing its job to an extent (working in a pharmacy, I knew it would help me relax some) but I just can't get comfortable in the recliner I'm sleeping in, in bed, or on the couch even with something propped behind my head. I'm also having issues becoming extremely dizzy when standing or sitting up too quickly, and sometimes even when I'm just laying/sitting completely still. Only medication I'm on now is extra strength Tylenol and a 10mg amitriptyline once a night, so I don't think they're causing it. Any advice on how to make the pain more manageable or stop my dizziness?! Thanks in advance! 
advertisement

Comments

• Hello, Rachelxteresa!

I recall reading posts similar to yours about the dizziness one can experience after the type of surgery you had.  I'm going to give a "call" to my moderator and friend, @Bruce%20Eitman, as he is recovering well from his own cervical spine surgery.

I'd like to welcome you to the forums!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Rachelxteresa

I am sorry to hear about your recovery.  Finding a good sleeping position is always fun, we all have different needs, so we all find a different good position.

I didn't experience the dizziness.  Have you discussed this with your doctor?  Of course, move slowly when changing position from laying to sitting to standing.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement