Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Cervical Surgery with Severe Osteoporosis /Postponing surgery?

My surgery is scheduled Sept 7 (one week). I think I need to postpone surgery until I get answers. 
I just can't wrap my head around them putting screws in my bones that are a mess. 

When I went to the surgeon I was going to refuse all surgery, then when he showed me one (out of four) herniations was on huge and on my spinal cord I realized I do need surgery BUT i was not prepared to ask surgery questions so I now I have LOTS of questions and I don't think the surgeon has an appointment available before Wednesday so I'm thinking of postponing until I can ask my questions. 



  • Hey, Robinfl!

    Even though the surgeon may not have an appointment slot available, perhaps you might be able to set up a telephone Q&A session?  I've done that a couple of times with my surgeon/surgeon's assistant when they didn't have time to see me, but did have the 20-30 minutes for a phone call. 

    I can understand where you are--the word "surgery" can be so overwhelming that your mind turns to mush, and it's tough to get past that initial shock to the questions you need to be asking!   
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • robinflrrobinfl Merritt Island FLPosts: 42
    Surgery is postponed until the 21st. Now I have time to get some answers.
  • advertisement
  • MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 217
    I also have osteoporosis, but I have no choice but to have surgery, since mine is a revision surgery.
    I had a bone density test that showed that I had osteopenia in Aug. 2014, but I was never told about it.
    I had a lumbar fusion surgery for L3/L4 and L4/L5 in April, 2015.  I found out that the fusion had failed at my one year check-up and promptly found another surgeon for my revision surgery.  When I checked out my records to take to the new surgeon, I read the report of the bone density exam.  I also read that the surgeon knew about it and noted that he was ordering a bone building medication.  He never bothered to tell me, my pharmacy or my insurance and went ahead with the surgery without telling me.
    Now the hardware is loose, so it must be repaired.  My primary doc ordered another bone density scan and found that I've progressed to osteoporosis.  She wanted to start me on Fosamax, but my surgeon said that the only bone strengthening medicine that wouldn't interfere with the fusion is Forteo.  It's much more expensive, but he went to bat for me with the insurance and got a reasonable price for me.  I'll start the injections this weekend - surgery in October.
    He is also going to insist to the insurance company that they agree to a bone growth stimulator for me.
    This surgery will be bigger, with L5/S1 included, but he is confident that hes giving me every chance to heal this time.
    Oh, and ask your doc if you should be taking vitamin D, Calcium and Magnesium.  Mine was insistent that I take those.
    Hope this helps, and good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.