Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Kratom - Not what most people think it is.

Kratom is a tropical deciduous and evergreen tree in the coffee family native to Southeast Asia and Indochina.

Medical or Recreational ?

Though not an opiate itself, kratom is though to behave similar to a pain receptors like morphine does.  It does NOT have ANY legitimate medical uses.

Some people use it for managing pain as well as for recreational usage

The United States Drug Enforcement Administration states, "There is no legitimate medical use for kratom".  Kratom has become popular as a recreational drug and has been promoted with claims that it can improve mood, relieve pain and help with opiate addiction.

Common side effects

• Itching
  • Vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Decreased effort to breathe
  • seisures
  • additction
  • pyschosis
  • death (overdose, impacts on your respiratory system)
  • loss of appetite and weight loss
  • darkening of the skin color of the face
  • bowel obstruction
  • increased hospital visits
  • hepatotoxic (potential liver problems)

Kratom  is considered a Stimulant; Depressant; Intoxicant. With a duration of around 2 - 5 hours the effects include:

Positive:

• Simultaneous stimulation & sedation
  • Feelings of empathy
  • Feelings of euphoria
  • Aphrodisiac qualities for some people
  • Vivid waking dreams
  • Useful with physical labor

Neutral:

• Relatively short duration
  • Change in ability to focus eyes
  • Analgesia

Negative:

• Very bitter taste
  • Dizziness, nausea and/or vomiting at higher doses
  • Mild depression during and/or after
  • Occasional Increase in (perceived?) body temperature. (feel hot and sweaty)
  • Tiredness after comedown
Iis it Legal?

In many states, kratrom is legal to purchase.  In New York, it is currently legal, but there is a lot of legislation that iis going to make it illegal to purchase at stores.   In New York city, police are raiding many 'head' shops in attempts to control its sale.   The push is that you have to purchase it online.  Kratom is NOT legal in all states..   Most of the packages that you may purchase states that "It is NOT intended for human consumption"

Possession of kratom leaves is illegal in Thailand. The Thai government passed the Kratom Act 2486, effective August 3, 1943, which made planting the tree illegal and required existing trees to be cut down. 

On 31 August 2016 the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) announced its intention to place the active materials in the kratom plant into Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.  Schedule I narcotics include drugs such as peyote, heroin, Ecstasy and methaqualone. The federal government does not sanction doctors to prescribe these substances, and they have a high potential for causing dependence and abuse in users.

According to the DEA press release "Kratom is abused for its ability to produce opioid-like effects and is often marketed as a legal alternative to controlled substances. Law enforcement nationwide has seized more kratom in the first half of 2016 than any previous year and easily accounts for millions of dosages intended for the recreational market, according to DEA findings. In addition, kratom has a high potential for abuse, has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and has a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision. These three factors constitute a Schedule I controlled substance according to the Controlled Substances Act passed by Congress in 1970.

Kratom has been seized by law enforcement in various forms, including powder, plant, capsules, tablets, liquids, gum/resin, and drug patch. Because the identity, purity levels, and quantity of these substances are uncertain and inconsistent, they pose significant adverse health risks to users.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on everything above and most detailed medical articles, kratom is something that you should be very leery about if someone is telling you to try it.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Thank you Ron!
    Very informative!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• after the DEA made my 10 year oxycodone pills unavailable mainly because I refused to jump through those many hoops to keep my prescription.. already I have had to drive every month once to the doc, and twice to the pharmacy, and now requiring drug testing to keep, I switched to Kratom. It works. No one has suffered who took it alone.. in combination with other street drugs, a very few have od'd... Thailand made it illegal simply because it was cutting into the opium trade. Mr. Rons Medical History better fact check. Many use it to kick heroin.. the majority use if for spinal pain control as I do. I have been through five spinal surgeries, melanoma skin grafts, two broken wrists, two fusions, and three heart procedures. MY systems are healthy. Without some kind of pain meds, I cannot function. I am a farmer. There is over 1000 years of history involving Kratom as pain relief.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771
    Everyone makes the final decision of what they will or will not take
    All we do is try to provide the facts
  • With all and every due respect.
    "Many use it to kick heroin"
    Here are some facts for the sake of discussion.

"Withdrawl effects of kratom are very similar to those of opiates like heroin or prescription painkillers.

They include:

1. Diarrhea
    2. Muscle pain
    3. Muscle tremors and jerking
    4. Restlessness and sleeplessness
    5. Severe depression
    6. Crying
    7. Episodes of panic
    8. Sudden swings of mood
    9. Irritability"
    Seems as if people are replacing a safe,prescription drug...

With something that produces mental and physical intoxication effects similar to opiates and street drugs.

And then having withdrawal effects the same as opiates and heroin?

2. You buy kratom from gas stations, head shops and online dealers who dont care a whit about the end users statebof mind nor health.
    Only..

Knowing fully that it is a substiute high
    A
    "Legal high" only because the DEA has not caught up with the pushers.

3.since a person doesnt know or care about the chemical/botanical trail from field to gas station..how can a person be sure they are even getting "real"kratom..not cut with other chemical admixtures created,synthesized or maliciously put in by the kratom pusher?

You have a strangers word that..this is real pure kratom
    To who they have bought from a stranger,importer,producer..

"Trust me.."

Yeah..you can trust a gas station,head shop,truck,stop..buddy to always have your health and well being in mind and at heart.

Most uses indicate either a stimulant or depressive state is the ultimate goal.
    The only sources that say it has "medicinal" qualitys? Are the pusher sites..who by the way sell them..of course they are going to say whatever in pursuit of the dollar.

Ime sure many bags of leaves and roots have been sold and people have psychosomatically said..it cured me! Ime healthy!

Only because they believe it so.

It has been banned in asian countries
    It is schedualed and proposed to be banned here in the US.

One persons account does not a relief make.

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I've been taking kratom for over 2 years now for my back pain. When I first started taking it I was reading that its non addictive. Well I figured I had nothing to loose since I've been taking painkillers for years and know that I was addicted to those. I decided not to take my painkillers the first morning and just took kratom. It worked great and I stopped taking my prescription and only take kratom. My pain is minimal now and it worked so well that I was able to go back to work full time. I take it 2-3 times a day just like I was supposed to with my meds. After taking it for awhile I decided to stop for a week to see what would happen. Only thing that happened was my back pain returned. I did this for a entire week. I didn't want to recommend it to a friend and get them addicted to something. I have taken to much kratom and it made me feel a little sick. I didn't get high off from it at all. Maybe a little energy but that's it. There is so much misinformation going around about kratom. I know it sounds to good to be true and everyone reacts differently to meds and such but this is my personal experience with it.  I also belong to a number of kratom groups online and I notice that it works very well for almost everyone on the groups with really no side effects. If someone decides to try kratom please research who your getting it from and make sure it a good vendor or store and its not enhanced. 
  • advertisement
  • After 2 back surgeries, 2 foot surgeries, 1 knee , and 4 years of continuing chronic pain that my pain management Dr and I have tried to control with Butrans and other Schedule 3 meds, I finally gave in to my curiosity and ordered Kratom. I didn't expect much. But I haven't taken a prescription pain pill since receiving it. I normally take 6 Tramadol, 2 Topamax, and 2 each of Tylenol, Motrin and Exedrin daily, and WAS STILL IN PAIN. If Kratom can make me pain free, and, no, I am not sitting here high as a kite like when I took Percocet, then what is wrong with that?? I think this is amazing. Every drug here beside me in these bottles have horrible side effects, and so far, Kratom doesn't. Dear God, I hope they don't take it from us.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771
    edited 10/27/2016 - 2:12 PM
    I believe that with Kratom , documentation should be provided, as it is done for other medications/substances/etc taken to reduce pain levels should be made readily accessible.

That includes all the Pro's/Con's associated, with the benefits and consequences. This way the person who is going to us a given product is well educated about it. Then if a person decides to use it, they do fully aware about the good and bad. Its then that person's decision to take it or not.
  • As a 27 year old stay at home dad, I have severe, debilitating lower back and leg pain, to the point where sleeping a good nights rest is nearly impossible. I never took prescription pain meds, because my mother got addicted, and it LITERALLY ran her life into the dirt. I had to do something for my pain. After doing some research, I ordered a small sample of kratom from an online vendor. It came in a few days, and 15 minutes after taking it, my pain was COMPLETELY gone. I've been taking it for about 6 months, and now I get the best sleep I think I've ever had. And no, I'm not a "kratom vendor pushing sales or anything like that. I just want people to know that this plant is truly a miracle herb. I've also struggled with anxiety as well as ADHD my whole life, and kratom really helps me focus and shoo's away all the unwanted anxiety. The only negative side affect I've experienced is maybe slight nausea. 
  • jolteon101jjolteon101 Posts: 26
    edited 10/28/2016 - 7:07 PM
    This thread should be reported . This 'dilauro' is obviously an idiot. He did not research kratom, even remotely and seems incapable of thinking for himself. He also does not know how to spell addiction and made up various blatant lies about kratom.

Have this thread taken down. I wouldn't be surprised if op is paid by the fda

Jolteon.

This is how its going to be.

Be courteous and open minded. Ignore members who can’t discuss topics in a compassionate manner. Please note: Members who engage in attacking a specific field of medicine or a specific person may receive a warning or be banned from that forum. Forum members should encourage positive discussion.

And.

Be courteous and contribute positively. If you’re not contributing to the forums in a positive manner, you may receive a warning or have your account temporarily or permanently closed.

And.

5.01 You agree not to submit or post material that is harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, or otherwise objectionable. This includes the bashing and/or name calling of medical professionals such as physician.

And.

11.01 You agree not to submit or post material that is vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable in any manner or nature to forums on Spine-health.com. This includes the use of #$%@ or XXXXX as a means to hide foul language.

The moderator team reserves the right to edit any post

I have done so.

This thread is on the razors edge of being closed.
    We have kept it open despite attacks from kratom users.
    We keep an open mind and forum to encourage dialog between disparate peoples of different backrounds.

Bashing or name calling will not be tolorated on any count.
    PERIOD.

I realise you may have not read the Forum rules.
    Please click the link below to better inform yourself on the rules and courtesies EVERY member follows.

This is not Facebook or some internet open network where anyone can bash and denegrate at will.

There are consequences
    There are rules we all use to get along with each other.

This Is your first warning.

Please play nice and remember not everyone will have your experience,world view or point of view.

I am William Garza
    Moderator.
    apparently significant for the use of posting on a thread
  • I have a question for the original poster. Have you tried kratom for yourself ? I wonder why such a strong (incorrect) opinion of this miraculous plant. Do you work for a pharmacy?
advertisement