Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Finally after all these years...

advertisement

Comments

• Take care of yourself first

Well be here as long as it takes
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• asmerellaasmerella Kentucky (KY)Posts: 13
    Ok guys I'm back. Still having trouble swallowing but I'm getting it done... I have some amazing news. I haven't used my wheelchair in my home since yesterday at 2 o'clock.  I did use it when we went to the grocery store.  I have been walking around with my walker and a couple times I walked without it. :)
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 431
    I hope your updates just keep getting better and better!  Glad you are feeling great!
  • I have tears of joy in my eyes for you,  Asmerella!  What an AMAZING update!   Your husband and family must be over the moon,  too!   
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 658

asmerella - Great to hear from you!  I find it amazing that you have been able to get out of your wheelchair this quick.  When you wrote that you were having swallowing issues, I was NOT surprised.  Five days after my C3/C4 fusion, I was back in the hospital because I couldn't swallow and was having trouble breathing.  I was put on massive doses of IV prednisone.  It was so bad, the doctor thought he was going to need to perform a tracheotomy so I could breath.

Hopefully, you are beyond the worst of the swallowing issues.  If your swallowing issues do NOT improve after several weeks, you might want to get a ENT evaluation.  You likely have a lot of hard rehab work ahead, but if possible, keep it in perspective.  Focus on your improvement.  Please keep us updated.  I want to do all I can to encourage you and your family.      

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,298
    Great news!! Being out of a wheelchair is such an accomplishment. Hope you keep progressing.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
    I am absolutely over the moon about being out of that chair...still will be needing my afo braces for my feet turning in but I can do that...been using my chair still when we go out cause my strength is greatly affected by my surgery ,the medication, and just spending 3 years in the chair.  I can not thank u guys enough for the words of encouragement even though I was new here you all made me feel like at least I wasn't alone.  I do have a weird thing going on with my shoulder,  if I swallow it pulls on my shoulder. ..who knew (unless u were a medical professional) that ur shoulder was connected to swallowing. ..  I feel that as far as the pain meds they gave me that I really need less pain med more muscle relaxer. ..do I just need to tell my dr this...until recently no one believed that I was in pain. I bought all my own wheelchairs and my own Tylenol.  I absolutely had to do a dying fit in the er to get a tordol shot and that was one time.  I just have so much to say . I have kept a positive outlook even through the darkest times until I saw that mri. And I found out about surgery.  It never occurred to me that my life would change this much...
    I am I can eat and drink again. ..thank you 
    He is and they are . I feel so tall when I stand up...compared to sitting in that chair lol
    Starting physical therapy with gait training Monday and trying to find info on what all they do with you.  
advertisement