Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Being active with lower back pain

advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 692
    For low back pain I generally do 5 exercises. I do them as soon as I get out of bed. I do them in order, and I don’t skip any: Sitting Knee Pillow Squeezes (3 sets of 20 reps), Static Back Knee Pillow Squeezes (3 sets of 20 reps), Modified Floor Block (hold 6 minutes), Static Extension (hold 2 minutes), Airbench (hold 2 minutes). I will add these three if I really want to feel good and have some extra time: Static Back (hold minimum 5 minutes), Supine Groin Stretch (15 minutes per leg), Airbench (hold 2 minutes). 
    Then I go to the gym and workout. After that I add a cool down routine: Static Extension (hold 3 minutes), Cats & Dogs (10 reps), Downward Dog (hold 1 minute), Airbench (hold 2 minutes)

Again, these routines are specific to low back pain and pre/post weight training. I noticed results after the first time I did the LBP routine, but you might not see them that soon. If you do them (or any exercise) and proceed to sit down, or lay down, or be inactive you are not using the routine to your benefit. I notice the best results if I stay active for the majority of my day, rather than sitting at my desk, driving, watching tv, etc. Get up and stay in motion!

OH! Make sure you consult with your doctor before doing any routine. I'm sure they're in the best shape!   

• LarnersourLLarnersour Los Angeles, CAPosts: 52
    The first thing you should do, is to eliminate things that you think can create you this pain, it doesn't mean that you don't have to move. Keep moving but do this carefully, talk with you doctor about exercises or moves that can help you to relieve the pain and maybe some other therapies. I think you can pass through it without additional drugs needed!
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello attilliodalberta !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157

MarWin said:

For low back pain I generally do 5 exercises. I do them as soon as I get out of bed. I do them in order, and I don’t skip any: Sitting Knee Pillow Squeezes (3 sets of 20 reps), Static Back Knee Pillow Squeezes (3 sets of 20 reps), Modified Floor Block (hold 6 minutes), Static Extension (hold 2 minutes), Airbench (hold 2 minutes). I will add these three if I really want to feel good and have some extra time: Static Back (hold minimum 5 minutes), Supine Groin Stretch (15 minutes per leg), Airbench (hold 2 minutes). 
    Then I go to the gym and workout. After that I add a cool down routine: Static Extension (hold 3 minutes), Cats & Dogs (10 reps), Downward Dog (hold 1 minute), Airbench (hold 2 minutes)

Again, these routines are specific to low back pain and pre/post weight training. I noticed results after the first time I did the LBP routine, but you might not see them that soon. If you do them (or any exercise) and proceed to sit down, or lay down, or be inactive you are not using the routine to your benefit. I notice the best results if I stay active for the majority of my day, rather than sitting at my desk, driving, watching tv, etc. Get up and stay in motion!

OH! Make sure you consult with your doctor before doing any routine. I'm sure they're in the best shape!   

Thank you for sharing this routine.
    I found videos with all procedures on internet.
    I have to admit that some of the procedures are new to me. 
    I am going to try them and of course I will speak with my doctor about.
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,646
    edited 09/17/2016 - 5:19 AM
    All members please remember

Warning: Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval. Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157
    edited 09/22/2016 - 1:32 PM
    @MarWin 

Your routine is new for me but a bit static. I usually use one that combine body movement with stretching.
    I tried for a while but then I returned to mine. 
    I replaced my 1 hour fast waking with normal waking. 
    I gave up elliptic and I am doing only swimming.
    I am doing only some pull down small weights exercise but no lifting. I have a home gym machine.
    I am using a special pillow for back support in the office.
    I am feel a bit better but still with some pain and stiffness especial in the morning.
    Hopefully my condition will improve and I will be more active again.

Of course I talk to my doctor about your routine,  and what I should do to have less pain. 

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 692
    @catapam, yes static is what works for me. Because the muscles are imbalanced it's important to first bring them back in balance. Static exercises allow both gravity and passive release to work to our advantage to get the muscles in balance. From there, strengthening can begin. However, this routine for LBP also includes some resistance movements to retrain the dormant muscles to remember what their purpose is. I find that doing the routine first thing in the morning always starts my day off in the right direction. It sets the tone for how my muscles should be performing. During times when I had high levels of pain I would do the full routine (all 8 exercises) upon wake and before bed. I didn't miss a day for at least 7 in a row. Especially after doing the morning routine I make it a point to move around and stay busy so I don't get right back into the dormant, non-active zone. Absolutely what works best for your situation is the best method to follow. One thing to make sure of to ask any doctor is "did you have a similar issue and did this routine work for you?".
advertisement