Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF recovery

I had my surgery on 8-10-16. Fusion from c5 - c7 with plating. I am still having trouble sleeping in bed so I tend to rotate between bed and recliner. Still having some right shoulder pain which I am reading tends to be normal for sone. One of my problems is eating due to the fact that I still have a spot that food seems to want to hang on, s sometimes drinking will wash it on down but most of time I have to hack until I get it back up. Other problem is I have always been a real people person, but since surgery I it seems that if I am around several people talking at once it really seems to get to me. Again really strange for me and my family since I have always been so outgoing. I have been driving some which us pretty nerve racking due to adjusting to range of motion that I have now. 
advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 919
    jrena - Please give yourself time to heal.  I've had two neck fusions.  One at C3/C4 and C6/C7, both with plating.  The food swallowing is a common issue for several weeks or more.  Please share your concerns with your surgeon.  Most times, the food swallowing clears up.  You have had major surgery.  Your body is recovering, so no need to feel bad that you are not yrt back to your "normal" personality.  Also, should you really be driving already?  If you have been cleared to drive from your surgeon, well then okay, I think.  
  • jrenajjrena Baxley, GAPosts: 3
    Thank you.... he cleared me to drive short distances probably because I explained my Mom is about 2 miles from me and so I been driving from here to there just in last few days. I have cut meds back to only half muscle relaxer in mornings and whole at night to rest. I know from reading other posts a lot of stuff different for everyone, but sleeping still rather frustrating but I'm working with it... As far as the eating I did tell surgeon at 2 week check up and he said normal for some to have problems for a while,  but I am drinking protein shakes to supplement  not being able to eat much.. I know just gotta give myself time to heal just feeling frustrated because just don't feel like old self anymore...
  • advertisement