Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower back pain just appeared after 1 yr of only sciatica

I am new so I'll do my best. I have been diagnosed about a year ago with l5 s1 herniation on left side causing only sciatica pain. After a long labor day weekend of kayaking and cookouts  (a lot of sitting) I started feeling lower back pain  (worse when sitting) all day and night. I'm worried because I've never had back pain and also have my sciatica pain levels at a very manageable level. Am I doomed to now have lower back pain or can this just be a flare up from the increased sitting over the holiday weekend?
advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 701
    No doom! No doom! Keep the positive going. It's surprising you experienced sciatica before low back pain. I had LBP for over 25 years before getting sciatica. 
  • I find the lower back pain harder to tolerate then the leg pain. Any advise on getting the lower back pain down?
  • advertisement
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    I had the opposite. I had sciatica in my leg first with no lower back pain until later on.

It could be a flare up, only time will tell. If it doesn't go away, you probably need to see a doctor. You may need a new mri.
    Good luck!
    Ellen 
  • Thank you for replies! My physio has me working on my core muscles and if no improvement in 3 weeks will try a new PT session. And if no improvement from that than he will order a new mri. 
  • catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157
    kayaking is not a good idea for herniated disk.  "No pain no gain" it is a bad quote here. 
    You need to adapt you activities.
  • advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 701
    My comment on strengthening core is to be very careful of the types of exercises being preformed. Just because you have weak abs, does not mean you have a bad back. It may very well mean that the muscles around your lower back and pelvis are not interacting correctly. Muscles become dormant with lack of use. We make the mistake of saying they're "weak". Other muscles take over and do multiple duty. That's called imbalances. Some muscles are working (tight), other muscles are dormant. When pain occurs the body has had enough of the imbalances and signals to us with pain. Get the working muscles to release/relax and wake up the dormant muscles and get balanced. From there you can strengthen all you want, but I wouldn't do anything until you're balanced. Get with your PT and ask them about that route for recovery. Best!  
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello mxbxbity !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks everyone. My back has settled down but still sore at the end of the day. Trying to walk and stay active
advertisement