Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,354

I've got tell the good and the bad news. 
    I get so excited and hopeful when something starts going better, as anyone would. And of course you do more.
    But I've learned my lesson on that a long time ago, I do what I can and am able to do. But with my back you just never know.
    Yesterday afternoon I was sitting down and when I got up the pain shot across my back, my legs got wobbly and burning nerve pain going down both legs. I had to grab the table to keep from falling. After it subsided, I stretched a little and it help. I walked to hubby's shop, told him and just sat there with him.

Last night, we always sit on the porch before we go to bed, I started to get up, the same thing all over again. But he was here to catch me, help me in the house and to bed. My back was hurting so bad. The last time this happened it was another collapsed vertebra. We've always know it will just keep getting worse.

On top of all of that, my legs are swollen from my knees to my toes. And I know what that means. 
    So first thing tomorrow morning I'll call my PM doctor and my heart doctor. And yes, I've had my legs propped up all day. I've tried to walk too but have had to use my walker, feet are killing me.

Here we go again!

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Dear Sandra
    OMG I hate this message you know that and I am in tears yes damn it. You were just starting to enjoy some things I am so sorry you deserve better. You know you came here in horrible pain and then things got better why I bring that up is even during your miserable times you were there for me and so many others a lot don't do that. Your health means so much to a lot of us. 
    I will pray and pray some more and please I am here if you need someone to ----- to about it all.
    This is a time when words just don't cut it so so sorry. Please let us know as soon as you can what the doctor says and how you are will he get you in immediately he better.
    Sherri :(

• advertisement

Thanks Aneita, no more surgeries, odds aren't in my favor at all as it would be so extensive.
    I really don't think it's the pump as this happened before. I've been laying down all day and probably will for a few days to let things die down a bit.

Sherri,
    Thanks so much, didn't mean to upset you so much but would rather say something now than later and be like "guess what".
    Like I said I'm chilling for now. But I will let ya'll know when I find out what's going on.
    Thanks for the prayers, you know me, I'm a big believer in them.

Sandra
  • Hey you no way do you apologize for upsetting me that is what happens when this old ball baby hears some news about someone she cares for. I am so glad you are telling everyone we all want to know for sure. So you just do that "chill" can you sit out and watch the yard that would be nice and I bet with the super husband of yours you can. This has to be so hard for him I cannot imagine but so happy you have him to take care of you. 
    Ok enough you need your rest will be looking to see how you are for sure.
    Yes a prayer for you that you get some rest and peace. 
    Sherri

Aneita

No tv, period. We have none, don't want one. Had 3 nice big ones, gave them to the kids. When we moved here we said lets not turn on tv for a week and enjoy what we have. We live in the woods with a pond, huge yard, no neighbors, down a country road. Our home has windows from the ceiling (vaulted) to the floor with no curtains on any windows. We sit at the dinning room table and watch the fish jump and deer and turkeys. We did not miss tv at all, we have national geographic in our backyard all the time. We had dish turned off except internet. But we enjoy each other's company, sitting on the porch watching mother nature at her finest.

I never get bored as I'm on here when I can and doing other stuff when I can. We have a very simple lifestyle but so happy.

I talked to my PM doctor this morning, told him probably something else moved, broke or shifted and pinched a nerve again. He agreed, there is nothing we can do but let it ease up. Have an appointment Wed. with PT to get exercises to do at home. He talked about more X-rays but why, we can't do anything about it.
    I'm a lot better today but still resting. 

Hope, you mentioned sweet hubby, that he is. When I got up this morning he had 2 loads of laundry going, cooked breakfast and cleaned the kitchen. I am so blessed! But we take care of each other.

Thank you both for the support, really appreciate it.

Sandra
  • advertisement
  • Hi Sandra
    Well I am glad to hear you are feeling a little better for sure and let's pray it is something that will ease up and not require any further so you can go back to those walks through the woods. I can't imagine what kind of therapy but maybe some stretching or something easy. I don't know anything but I do think they need to take an x-ray just to see you know. Best to think as positive as possible and you are extremely brave and strong.
    Wow that is exactly what I would imagine with a man like that but you deserve it and I am so glad he is that way.
    That is so revealing of you two no TV I mean you have to have the most secure, happy and full life to not need anything but each other and that gorgeous place.
    Take it easy and enjoy that view. 
    Sherri

I have been so busy I forgot to update my last doctor visit which was last Wed.
    He increased the morphine rate by 5% and seems to be helping more. But I've been having a lot of nerve issues in my hip and leg again, a lot. Found out it's my piriformis muscle and SI nerve. I go back Aug. 8 for injections in both places.
    I met with PT and she gave me exercises to do at home. 

Other than that the pump and I are getting along fine, there are days when I forget it's even there. As thin as I am it's not even noticeable.

Take care everyone.

Sandra
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82

As you wait for your injections on 8/8 wishing your pain doesn't increase.  What kind of exercises are you able to do at home that PT gave you?  I hope they help and not further your pain.  It's such a struggle with back pain, you don't know if it's helping or hurting because the back talks to you in so many different languages through out the week.  

As for me I stayed awake till midnight, took my gaba and oxy hoping to avoid the "wake up pain siren", but that experiment did not work. The screaming pain woke me up at 2 a.m., got in the cold shower and tried going back to sleep with the cold towel wrapped around my back.  Barely slept, but got out of bed to kiss my wife as she left for work wishing her a great day and TGIF.  Never easy for me!

Going to call the PCP office this morning to check on the approval of the MRI.  I have 3 big screens, but they are off during the day since I enjoy reading.  Enjoy the wildlife and your great husband.  Low number pain day to all.

Akira/Chuck

Akria

My stretching exercises has helped. And I catch myself stretching my legs if I'm standing doing something.
    For my back muscle I lay across the dinning room table and gently stretch my arms out front. Pull them back in slowly then stretch again. Every few I do I leave my arms outstretched. While I am leaning over the table I take my left leg straight back and slowly in, then the right leg. I only do it a few times, don't want to overdo.
    For the piriformis muscle, sit in a chair and slowly bring your left foot to your right knee. Then do the other. It took a few days to be able to stretch that far. 
    If I'm cooking dinner and I start hurting, I put my hands on the counter and put my feet behind me where I'm leaning and that helps.

The main thing is don't push yourself but you have to do it every day. I hope this helps you, let me know.
    Take care and keep reading. I love to read!!

Sandra

I thought it time to update this journey again. After this post this thread will be closed and a new one started, Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey part 2.

Since I had my pump refilled on June 20th, I've seen my PM doctor once. That was on July 12th, still trying to find the right dose. He increased the morphine rate to 2.301 mg/day and the bolus rate to .251 mg/4 times a day as needed. These are still small increases but still the best way to do it.

I had started having a lot of problems with my left SI nerve and piriformis muscle. In the past I've had injections and they never seem to help. But you have to keep trying and hoping, maybe this time. He scheduled it for the 8th, yesterday.

So I had the injections yesterday. He said he put enough numbing medication in so that I would probably be pain free the rest of the day. That was wonderful. But then everything went back to normal. I've been taking it easy today (or trying to) and will do a better job tomorrow at resting. I want this to work.

The new posting starts on Part 2. Thanks to everyone for your replies and support. This has been a journey that started last August with me coming to this forum looking for information. I found that along with finding a "home" with good, caring, supportive people.
    Thank you!!

Sandra
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.