Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,474
    Thanks to both of you for posting, I'm still making notes for the neurosurgeon and PM doctors.
    I went to see my P M doctor Monday, everything had been sent to the neurosurgeon so now we are waiting for the call for the trial date. Should be in a few weeks. Talked to him about being on the same page as far as listening to me about the level of pain and him not having a problem lower or raising the dose. He's so good to work with, wish everybody could go see him!
    Also talked to him about the surgery that was offered. I have not talked about that in detail here, so here goes!
    We were told by the neurosurgeon (this was at a brain and spine institute) that they could fix me. The surgeries would be from my neck to tailbone with old hardware coming out. It would be done in sections, if possible, starting at the neck, then another surgery for the middle and another for lower. Everything would be caged and or rods and screws, or all of it and no telling what else. It would not stop the deterioration, spinal stenosis or scoliosis. So probably in 5-6 yrs would have to do it again. This will only prolong me being in a wheelchair. And, I would still need a pain pump.
    Hubby and I have talked about it for the last 2 weeks. At my age and current health conditions, no. My doctor agreed. So did my psychologist. And it's ok!! We're good with the decision, time to move on.
    Besides, hubby just can't wait to put flames and a bell on my wheelchair!!
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Memerainbolt and Mike, I'm seriously considering the pump and have been doing a lot of research. My doc is sending me to the spine clinic right away to see if this is an option for me and I'm preparing questions to ask. Some of what I've been reading on the internet says people have gained tons of weight after they have it implanted. Did either of your doctors mention this?
  • advertisement
    One thing I did forget to mention, the neurosurgeon I see is at a spine and brain institute, also implants these pumps in children with cerebral palsy using baclofen for their muscles. His facility is across the street from one of the best children's hospital, beside St. Jude.
    This being said, we had gotten on the subject of weight because I only weigh 90 lbs. I was afraid I was too small. Of course he said no. And that people did not gain weight because of the pump, there are not steroids in these. He said he has seen some people gain some weight only due to the fact that during recovery (and he is very strict on following orders after surgery) they lay around bored and eat all the time.
    The people I talked to face to face never gained weight.
    But I would rather gain weight, I don't care how much, than be in this kind of pain the rest of my life. You can lose weight, for me, I can't lose the pain.
    Sandra
    Got a call yesterday from the neurosurgeon's office. The only availability for the trial is the last 2 weeks in December. I told her any day, any time. Of course she will call back.
    I wait again!!!
    Sandra
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Good luck @memerainbolt . I hope some quality of life is just around the corner for you.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
    Thanks, me too.
    Sandra
    Update, finally!!.
    My trial date is January 3, 2017.
    Sandra
  • So glad to hear you have a trial date set!! What a long bump road this been, hopefully the ride gets smoother from here on out. 
    Thank you so much. Yes it has but everything happens for a reason.
    My sweet hubby retires the 1st of January!!! He's happy because now he says he can be my full time chauffeur and care taker. He said it's time to let go for a while. So sweet. So blessed.
    Sandra
  • memerainbolt
    I will be praying for you to find the kind of relief you need and will allow you to enjoy all you deserve.
    Take care Sherri
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.