Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,473
    LTee43, I will be more than glad to share any information and experiences I've had during this process. I have a notebook full of research and conversations with my doctors as well as with forum members. 
    Please feel free to ask me anything.
    Sorry you are going through this but what type of surgery did you have? 
    I've always said this forum is a wealth of information, glad you are here. Keep us posted on your recovery.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Mike the pike: Sorry for the late response but regarding your question I had the 1st version of the pump which Medtronic actually had some legal issues over from what I understand. Nobody could ever give me an answer as to why the catheters kept breaking but IMO the pumps at least the initial versions were designed more for non-ambulatory patients vs those that were in chronic pain but still maintaining some level of function like myself. The catheters have undergone revision probably numerous times and now that Medtronic has some competition in the form of Boston Scientific I am sure the problem will no longer rear it's head. Only thing that bothers me is that I still have all those catheters "floating" in my spine. Been told not to worry about it but that is easier said than done. To  memerainbolt I hope that all goes well for you and that this brings you some form of relief.
  • advertisement
    Surgery date!!! January 19th I have the pump implanted. That was quick, thought I'd have to wait longer.
    We have to go back to Indianapolis next week for all the pre-op tests.
    Will keep everyone posted!!
    Sandra
  • I had a heart attack and triple bypass in early October, but am doing well thanks. Back to work, popping my daily pain medications, business as usual. Pain is always worse at work, I can only get so comfortable unless I can bring in my recliner and cat.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
    I'm leaving today for Indianapolis, I have pre op test tomorrow and surgery Thursday, so we are just staying up there instead of driving back and forth. It's hard enough on me to make one two hour trip.
    My hubby got tins of cookies and boxes of chocolates to keep in the room for the nurses. Got that idea from December surgery buddies, thanks guys!!
    I will post again as soon as I am able, with all the good and bad details (hope not) lol.
    Thanks to everyone here that has helped me make this decision. Your support has been overwhelming and you will never know how much I appreciate it.

Sandra
  • advertisement
  • KChrispcatKChrispcat CaliforniaPosts: 66
    They have difficulty finding my veins too. I have been having panic attacks when they come at me with a needle. The last time they put an IV in they had to use an ultrasound machine. Of course they have to try first.because ever one is an expert.
  • I have horrible veins too. I've had a few surgeries over the years, many ESI procedures where I was knocked out and my October hospital stay. Best veins are now in the back of my hands. I can't even count how many times they hit me for blood when I had the heart attack.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
    Hi everyone!! We made it home yesterday evening,  was in the hospital longer than expected.
    Wednesday was all the pre op testing, found out I am now 5'1" not 5'3" anymore and weighed 86 lbs.
    Surgery was Thursday morning. This time I am happy to say I did not wake up during surgery lol!! But I did not have enough fat to make a pocket so the neurosurgeon had to cut into my upper stomach muscle right under my left rib cage, go behind it and make a pocket. He filled it with morphine at 1mg a day. I also have a PTM remote where i can give myself an extra dose of .1mg an hour.
    He wanted me to go straight to ICU but there were no beds so I stayed in recovery until Saturday night. I had to lay completely flat for 48hrs. I can honestly say, because of how and where he had to place the pump, it was the most painful surgery I've ever had. And, of course, they could not get my pain under control. They were giving me children's doses because of my weight. They finally put me on a dilaudid drip pump, oxycodone by mouth and had my pain pump going. Plus my bolus shots of morphine every hour and dilaudid every 6 minutes. It still hurt to even breathe.

The good news, my back was not hurting!! So it was all worth it. But during all this my blood pressure and breathing dropped because of all the drugs so I was on oxygen the whole time.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my PM doctor to up my morphine dose in the pump. It will not have to be much as my pain level is not nearly what it was before. All of my pain I have now is from surgery and that will ease every day. I have to use a walker but I'm getting up every hour and walking. I also have a stomach binder on and that helps  lot. It will help keep the pump in place when I move until it can adhere to the muscle.

I'm sorry I haven't posted earlier but I have not even felt like it. It's been a rough 6 days. I'll post again and hope to be back on the forum in full force soon. Thanks to everyone for your support.   
    Sandra
  •  Wow, what a blessing it is that your pain is being relieved..great news! I know it feels good to be home too. Just take your time and rest. We'll be here for you  :)
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Oh goodness what you have been through but it is the best hearing you are in less pain.
    My prayers and hopes for your gentle and safe recovery.
    Sherri
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.