Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,457
    I had my second appointment today with my PM doctor in less than a week. He is really working with me on trying to find a good low level of pain while decreasing oral meds. My surgery pain is way down, so is the back pain.
    We switched from 75 mcg patches to 25 mcg today but increased the morphine, very little.
    Now we are at 0.200 mg with the PTM at one bolus every 4 hrs. instead of every hour. 
    Refill date is now 6-30-17, 5 months!! Awesome!
    It's great, I'll now go to the doctor every 6 months instead of every 2-3 months.
    But I will also be honest, I'm hoping the next several days goes easy as far as coming off of everything. I'm prepared, even warned hubby if the claws come out please don't take it personal lol !!
    But I do want anyone thinking about getting a pump to know all this takes time and patience. From day one until now has literally been a slow journey, with still more to come. But also know in the end it is so well worth it, at least for me it has been.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Your update made some good reading matter Memerainbolt 

Good news on reduction on meds and good luck over the next few days
    AJ
    AJGormit

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for the update, glad it has been working out for you after all you've endured. I think it should also work for me as I had one neurosurgeon turn me down for surgery already in 2013.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • Gosh though you are dealing with so much right now I am so so glad to read your pain has decreased. Also thank God above you have that wonderful supportive husband so important in it all.
    Take care and I will be praying you continue to feel better.
    Sherri
    Thank you AJ, so far so good today. 
    LTee, at least for me, I do not regret having this done. It's great being able to sit and stand without being in pain.
    Hope, I thank God every day for my wonderful husband and family. They have all been so supportive. But especially my daughter who gave up two weeks to come and stay with us to help out. Besides that, she's a better cook!! Lol.
    Sandra
  • advertisement
  • I worry about down time since I'm still working for a living. I had missed 3 months of work last year with a heart attack and would probably get the axe if I was out again so soon. I'll be 62 soon, so going out on permanent disability is not that much of a stretch. I would be doing a lot better if my pain was better controlled on a day to day basis.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
    LTee, every doctor is different. My neurosurgeon is very strict, which is a good thing. 
    A normal hospital stay for this surgery is 2-3 days, mine was 5 because of complications. Recovery is 6-8 weeks but my doctor said mine would be 8-12 weeks. This is not a surgery you have done and a few days later you go back to work. You have to give the catheter and the pump time to adhere itself to your muscles and tissues so they don't move.
    Sandra
    I wanted to give an update on how I'm progressing with the surgery and the pump.
    As I stated earlier, my doctor increased the dose of morphine in my pump by 20% but decreased the amount of time between bolus shots from 1 hr to every 4 hrs.
    I started keeping a log of dates and the time I took a bolus and what my pain level was. I've notice the pain starts spiking at 2.5 to 3 hrs up to a level of 6 or 7. I have to call my doctor Monday and let him know how this is working out. This log is going to give him a better understanding of where I'm at and what we need to do next.
    He also changed my fentanyl patch from 75 mcg to 25 mcg. That could be a reason for the pain spikes. But the good news is I haven't had any side effects from the switch like we were dreading.
    I still get tired easy but I'm up and moving, walking and sitting more. My hubby keeps reminding me patience lol.
    But I am feeling a lot better!!

Sandra
    I had to call my PM doctor yesterday with an update of how I'm doing. So glad I kept a log, I could never have remembered every day for the last week.
    Basically, what I figured out by the log and told him, is we need to raise the morphine rate in the pump and bring the bolus time down to every 3 hours. The pain starts spiking about every three hours and is back up to a level 7-8. 
    He wants to wait a few more days if I can stand it. Fentanyl takes a while to get out of your system and he's afraid we're not getting a true reading because of that. We need to know how the morphine is going to work on its own.
    I'll put up with whatever it takes and agree totally.
    Other than that, there is very little surgery pain and have not taken oral meds since yesterday. My bandages came off and everything healed good, no drainage or redness and some of the stitches have dissolved.
    I'm still on the do nothing list, per hubby, until the 16th for my follow-up appointment with my surgeon.

Sandra
  • Good to hear the log has a double purpose.  I used to make notes of new symptoms between visits which really helped my useless memory :-)

Hope you are able to cope with the spiking until your meds can be adjusted.

Your hubby is such a great support for you ... thank you Mr Memerainbolt :-)
    AJ
    AJGormit

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.