Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Severe Back Sprain 2 weeks After Laminectomy/Discectomy

Hi guys,

I was wondering if this had happened to anyone. I had a laminectomy/discectomy at L4-L5 2 weeks ago today. Immediately after the surgery I felt amazing. The nerve pain I felt before the surgery was completely gone, and I couldn't be more happy. I was discharged from the hospital the next day, and spent most of the next week in bed, aside from small walks.

One week and one day after the surgery, I was feeling even better, and did some very light yard work (no bending, simply picking up dog poop with a poop scooper). I felt fine. I went for a rest, and when I got up, my back started feeling tender. I knew it wasn't nerve pain so I wasn't worried about re-herniation. I told myself it's probably because these muscles/ligaments pretty much hadn't moved in almost a year, and they are going to be very vulnerable as I begin to regain my normal range of movement.

The issue I have right now is that one more week has passed since that and it feels like the strain seems to be getting worse and worse. It still feels like a ligament/muscle thing. It doesn't travel down my leg, it's not at all in the same area as where my hernia was, and the worse is a spasm in my back just above my hip that will bring me to my knees at times. Every time I try to get up, lie down, or simply move around in bed, I seem to re-injure myself and make it worse.

Has anyone gone through something similar during recovery?

Thanks

Nic

advertisement

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    Following surgery, your body can react in so many ways to the surgery, the 'relieved' nerves, the anesthesia, the medication changes.  What you're experiencing could be as simple as that, or more serious.  Have you talked to your Dr.?  Are you trying anything to relieve the back spasms?
  • ShivayaSShivaya Quebec, CanadaPosts: 36
    Hi smartens, I'm seeing my doctor on Wednesday. For now I started taking muscle relaxants as of last night and ibuprofen. For the last few days I spent most of the day in bed but I read that that is a bad thing to do and that I should be trying to walk around and move as much as possible even if it hurts. It's 10 a.m. here in Ottawa and I'm out and about. When the ibuprofen kicks in I'll be going for a small walk around the block. I hope I get better soon, the pain has been pretty unbearable, especially the spasm.
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    If you're interested, ask your doctor about pool exercise.  He may advise against it because it might be a little soon after surgery, but maybe he'll give you a timeline.  When I was suffering bad spasms, the pool exercise was good exercise that kept my muscles firing for 'good things'.  I also got some relief with prescription muscle relaxant baclofen.  My microwaveable barley bag has been one of my best friends for the last 2.5 years, as well.  I hope you'll find relief in the walking soon, if nothing else is attainable.  But it is early in the game, be sure to check with your doctor about what is acceptable for you.