Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 Partial Discectomy

I thought I would start a new discussion as most on this topic are quite old. I am ten days out from surgery micro discectomy L5/S1. Pre surgery I had no sensation down one leg and across the top and sole of my foot, including all toes. Post surgery the numbness has persisted but from about day 6 the horrible sciatic pains have finally lifted!!! I've been walking a lot as it is the only exercise my surgeon will allow me to do. The last 4 days I have walked 8-11km on the beach and found that slow steady walking is good for the pain and for the soul. I am 36 years old and hoping to be back at work (at a desk) later this week and then get back into physical excercise - including riding the 150km tour down under in January. I am hoping I will be a success story but will keep you posted. So far I am glad I had the surgery. It has given me a reason for forced rest that work understands and helped with a pain that was intolerable. So far, not easy, but going well. Hoping the numbness in my toes will eventually disappear. 
advertisement

Comments

• This is such a wonderful, uplifting post!  Thank you for sharing your "success story" in the making!!  I would love for you to keep us all posted about your progress, and hope to hear you kicked some Aussie butt in the 150km!!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • trixttrix LiverpoolPosts: 35
    Glad to see your up and about so soon. I had an L5/S1 disectomy in January which is as unsuccessful. Had revision surgery yesterday so hoping it's done the trick as its been a terrible few years 
  • advertisement
  • martyadlmmartyadl Australia Posts: 19
    I'm sorry to hear that. How was it unsuccessful? Did you reherniate or did it just not relieve the pain?
  • SpartySSparty ArizonaPosts: 159
    Hey Marty, i'm also and active 36 year old 9 days post L5/S1 microdiscectomy.  I was told to walk only for the first month.  I feel i am recovering nicely (albeit slow).  Before surgery i walked 30K steps a day to prepare for recovery.  Before the herniation I was a runner.  Right now I am mostly pacing around the house about once an hour.  Then I ice in bed.  Each day I try to spend more time out of bed.  The surgeon said to do half what I think I can do for walking.  I am having trouble setting that pace.  I have had 2 days where I pushed it and walked around to long.  I am very encouraged by your 8-11km!!!!  Is that without rests?  I feel pain long before 8km so I stop, rest and try again.
    Sparty, it's not in one go. I've been walking about 4km per walk. At the moment I'm back at work and trying to walk to and from work each day (about 4km each way) and am workIng at a stand up desk. I am trying to do 10,000 steps per day at least on my Fitbit. Unfortunately sitting and driving still hurt and I have no sensation in my left foot and toes. But otherwise I am doing well and coping being back in the office. Hoping the numbness will go away in time 
  • advertisement
    By the way - my surgeon said I couldn't cause any more damage by only walking so to go as far as I was comfortable with (ie unless I was in pain at the time)
    Marty, my doc said walk about hald what I think I can.  He knows I am a runner.  I had a really bad back tweak last night but by late morning today felt much better.  The story is on my discussion post  "L5/S1 Microdiscectomy."  I managed to walk 3 miles total and I still have a bit of the night to go.  Almost doubles my last several days.  I'm pretty happy especially considering how I started the day.  Your posts have been encouragement. Thank you!
  • AMWoodyAMWoody SurreyPosts: 107
    Marty this is an wesome recover and a great post. Well I am 5 months in and only walk a couple of miles a day. I only got back to a desk job in August (4 months post op) so you are doing very well indeed.I had numbness from the op too and was told it would go.. It DID ...
    That's so good to hear. I'm feeling pretty good now and managed a weekend away with a car ride, but the surgical wound doesnt want to heal over at the top - I've got a sore "hole" there and am having to put on dressings and betadine ointment. I thought the cut would have been better by now... 
    Marty, I am doing the 10,000 plus steps a day.  I'm feeling pretty good.  Back is still sore and once in a while i get a zap if I overdo it.  At least I am off the pain killers completely.  Still not cleared to get in a car until PT starts in a week and a half.  Glad your doing good as well!
advertisement