Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

pain, stresses, and morning/evening...

momo-kmmomo-k Posts: 131
edited 09/11/2016 - 10:18 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I am wondering if any of you have experienced more pain when you are stressed? Is your pain worse in the morning, then ease out some what, then pain comes back later in the later in the day with vengeance? 

Thank you for your replies.
advertisement

Comments

• Hey, Momo-K!

Stress can certainly induce a pain response in the body!  You've certainly been undergoing psychological duress over the decision to have surgery or not, so I could just imagine how that's "showing itself" in terms of your physical pain!! 

What are some of the things that you do to manage stress?  Are you able to mentally "get away from it all", whether it be through activities, hobbies, etc?  Stress damages us right down to our chromosomes, and some recent studies have shown interesting results in regards to companionship (breast cancer patients showed marked healing of their telomeres when they participated in group therapy vs. the control group), reduction of stress levels, and chromosomal telomere regeneration!!  Fascinating stuff, for sure.  Even if it's not directly related to chronic pain, are you well enough to participate in group/family outings/activities?  Connecting with others can be so healing!  :)
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello....
    For me, yes! 
    Because it's chronic pain....it's always there.
    But with pleasant and or mindless activities, I can more easily distract my pain...put it on back burner.

When unavoidable situations and or challenging people enter my day...it is much more difficult.
    My pain definitely seems to increase with stress!

I think its just as the stress of my behavior with increased physical activities can cause my pain to increase, and may take me days to recoup....
    same with the stress of my thoughts and emotions.

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Thank you Savage and Kimmy72. I wasn't alone... and wasn't just in my head. 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168
    No question.....

It becomes a vicious cycle.   For whatever reason, you are under stress.  Stress can easily tighten your muscles.  As your muscles tighten, you could be having one shoulder higher than the other, your back muscles are making it difficult to walk normally, so, you start to have more back pain

So you have stress which can bring on more pain which in turn can stress you out, which then can create more problems for your body...

it goes on and on.  Finding the way to eliminate or at least reduce the amount of stress you have is going to be a big help

There is also the pile on stress which can create more havoc.  I think most people can deal with a deal of stress without it too much of a toll.  But when that stress continues day after day, and then some time around your 5th day of stress, you start with the physical pain somewhere.

In the perfect world, the moment stress starts to take control, we all need to slow it down or stop it with some form of personal mediation or relaxtiioin
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement